AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, as my HTPC is standing inside my bedroom I need it to be really quiet.

With my CPU fan making no noise at all, and my PicoPSU being quiet as well, the only source of noise is my annoying 3TD WD HDD. And yes, you can really hear it. The "TAK TAK TAK" and also some kind of whisteling. The HDD is not damaged or anything.

Here are a few pictures of how I mounted my HDD (+SSD) so far. The plan was to get the HDD as tight as possible but with some "dampening" between the HDD-holder and the HTPC case.

Maybe I should completely remove the metal-hdd-holder and put the HDD on some kind of dampening plastic? This will mean very good isolation from the bottom side of the hdd (=heat) ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The "Tak tak tak" noise is probably from the head, not the spinning platter. No matter how much dampening you add, it is not going away unless you seal the hard drive in a foam box, but then, it will most likely overheat.

Your solutions are:

1) SSD - no spinning parts, but expensive for capacity

2) HDD but at another location, perhaps in the basment in the server or NAS, and connect via ethernet

3) Move the whole HTPC to another location and use an extender or similar that has no moving parts at all.

We chose a combination of all 3.

1) HTPC in the family room with SSD.

2) Server in the basement with all of the HDD's

3) Bedrooms have Linksys Media center extenders with no moving parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is the head which I am hearing. I believe that the "tak tak" noise is getting transfered over the whole case causing it to be louder. No idea what the whisteling is though.

I already have a SSD, I need 3TB storage, dont want another server/NAS/... :p

·
Registered
615 Posts
You shouldn't be hearing a Green drives seek that loud unless your drive cage is magnifying the sound. The loudest thing a Green drive does is park the heads, but it should only do that when idle.

If you head over to SilentPCReview.com, you may find some (old) forum threads on "soft-mounting" hard drives.

In short, suspension (using elastic cord) is the preferred method if space allows, usually in a drive cage rotated 90-degrees. Some people use polyethylene or polystyrene foam. I don't like them due to static buildup (last thing you need inside a PC).

The best thing I've ever found to isolate hard drive noise is Sorbothane (think gel shoe insoles). It's just a gel urethane rubber and comes in many levels of hardness (durometer). The lower the durometer the softer the material, and the better it isolates (also feels sticky).

I actually got some sample squares (1" thick by 3" square) from Sorbothane themselves a long time ago (still using them), but you can purchase the different grades at McMaster-Carr and other places online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My HTPC case only offered hard mounts for 3.5” drives. So I suspended 2.5” drives in the 3.5” drive cage. I used 2 drives for a total of 3TB, and 1/8” elastic ribbon. The drives were suspended so that they could not slip out.

I found the ribbon with other sewing supplies, and it was very cheap.

The 2.5” drives are always less than 35 Celsius, and the HTPC sleeps most of the time, so they should last a long time. The only disadvantage of using them is the cost compared to 3.5” drives.

No matter what I am doing with the drives, I have never been able to hear them, even if I am standing right next to the case. (The entire case is very quiet, so if the drives were noisy, I would hear them.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I put the HDD now on two foaming stripes.with about 2-3 cm height. Still waiting for the adapter to get my PicoPSU running so I couldnt test it out yet.

I also tried to add some thin foamingstripes to the HTPC-Case which is close to the HDD. Maybe that will absorb some of the high-pitch-noise.

I also wonder about temperature now as the "walls (=htpc case)" around the HDD are now with foaming stripes (=good isolation instead of cold metal) as well as there are two big foaming stripes below the HDD.

Will see
Thanks for help !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.