AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Projectors and was hoping to get some advice from the experts. I am looking to upgrade my Pioneer Elite 610 (58' diagnal widescreen) because although it is beautiful it is not big enough to be totally immersive in my Home theatre/Living room. I will be about 11.5 ft. from the screen for a Front projector. On a scale of 1 -10 (highest) Ambient light in the room is about a 2.5. I watch mostly Dish HD and OTA HD and DVD with about 35% NTSC.

Should I consider CRT. I could get a demo Seleco SVD 800 HD with very low hours on it for about $12,000.

Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Did you mean " (inches) instead of ' (feet)?

Not much is going to look good at 84 feet wide (twice the width of a large commercial movie theater screen).

...yes, I'm just being a smart-a$$.

At 11 feet away, you should consider a decent CRT, as you don't want to see pixels on the screen. Also, 84 inches isn't terribly large, and a CRT will light it up just fine.

What is your room like as far as installation? Do you have 8 foot ceilings and strong ceiling joists?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LT150 should give about that size image at that distance too. It's XGA DLP so pixelization is not noticeable at 12 feet from screen. It's only $2200 brand new. It should be great for DVD if you can pair it with progressive DVD or HTPC. NTSC would be bad unless you buy a DVDo or HTPC using capture card and Dscaler (beats DVDo). Beware that 10% of people is susceptible to rainbow effects. If you're not rainbow sensitive, you may do a lot better with a 3# unit that a 100# monster CRT. CRT WILL give you the best image but is more expensive (unless you buy used), less bright (needs dark room), needs professional installation, calibration, and periodic (monthly) maintenance. LT150 is so portable that you can take it with you on vacation for movies on hotel wall :) Oh yeah, it should sync with Dish 6000 at 720p and maybe 1080i (more difficult to sync but doable). You'll need VGA-->component cables for Prog. DVD player ($40 at www.a2zcables.com for 20 footer)

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
CRT WILL give you the best image but is more expensive (unless you buy used), less bright (needs dark room), needs professional installation, calibration, and periodic (monthly) maintenance.
Not to start a war or anything but.. ;) The above quote is a little misleading. I'm new to the CRT world (Just got my hands on a Marquee 8000) but a few thing I already know are...

1. You do not need professional installation. Advice from Forum members is more than enough, trust me. I'm an idiot when it comes to things like this and I've been able to get by just fine.

2. Once your CRT is properly calibrated you do not need to maintain it on a monthly basis, "some" of us tinker with it every time we go to watch something but that's just for the fun of it. :)

Once it is calibrated it's good for a VERY, VERY long time.

I hope this doesn't get nasty but I just thought some things should be made clear...

BTW, I'm a previous LCD owner and yes plug and play is handy but my CRT outshines any LCD player I've ever seen.

Mike

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have the Pioneer, non-Elite, HD532 which I fed from a Faroudja DVP2200 to bypass the sets internal doubler. It produces a stunning picture, but I have compared my LT150 with ISCO II lens projecting a 92" wide image and the LT150s is just as good as the Pioneer, only almost twice as large!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milori,

Have you seen Spinal Tap?

My ceiling is standard. I guess its 8 ft. Not sure about the ceiling joists.

I saw a sharpvision (don't recall model #) at 6th ave electronics for about 10K. It wasn't impressive to me. Conditions were not ideal though. Ambient light and the HD Net feed looked skwooshed on this projector for some reason. The picture was not nearly as good as the RPTV's in the store with the same HD Net source. Nice but not 3D. Also, there was terrible Stairstepping (I believe is the correct term) when the camera moved from one side to the other. The screen was a pretty big about 120" I think sharpvision. I don't know what if any scaler was being used. I am guessing that is an important factor in the final result.

I would love to find a non crt projector that is great with HDTV. Does it exist?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Well, there are digital projectors capable of matching your 610 in picture quality, but there are a lot of caveats.

A DILA G15 would be less than $12K even with a hushbox, Greyhawk screen, and decent scaler. Much less if DVD and HDTV are your only concerns, and an HTPC doesn't scare you.

You get by with a much brighter room than a CRT would allow for, but you will not achieve really inky blacks like a CRT might. One thing I've discovered is that I can use spot-lighting and not wash out the sceen.

There is a used Vision 1 CRT projector in the classifieds for $17K. This is the best looking CRT projector I've ever seen, but a completely dark room is a must for it.

You also need to consider mounting location. Most CRT projectors end up needing to be mounted about the same distance from the screen as you want to sit. So it is suspended right over your head or slightly in front of you. Digital projectors with zoom lenses give more flexibility there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.