Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi please help i have a small buget just purchaced ae100

no money for screen now .But i have a clean white wall what is the best way to make it into a sceen what paint and are there any special methods to paint for best results??

ps:im gona frame the wall and paint unused portion a dark color

thanks

butch:)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Butch,

I'm in a similar situation: AE100 + I'm cheap. Screen Goo is more than I wished to spend.

What I plan on doing and anyone can give their thoughts:

Room currently is painted blacked, rather badly (shiny spots and such all over the place.)

I'm going to sand a little on the screen area to try to get rid of the drywall/sheetrock texture. I've heard it is hard to notice, so I won't spend much time with this. I have access to an HVLP gun + compressor but I'm not sure if I will use that. Most likely will end up using a roller with Behr Grey Pewter. I haven't gotten a good place to figure out what kind of finish I want (satin, gloss.)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
A grey screen attempts to compensate for the poor black level and works well on LCD projectors. Right now I'm simply projecting onto a textured, off-white wall and dark scenes and black suits look kind of bad.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm using a 58"x104" sheetrock screen that is attached two inches from a wall that is painted "Flat Black".

I used Behr "Ultra Pure White" flat that was converted to Behr "Gray Tropics" flat by using the following formula:

Colorant OZ 48 96

B Lamp Black 0 3 1

C Yellow Oxid 0 1 0

L Raw Umber 0 4 0

In case my formula looks crazy, here are how the columns are supposed to look:

OZ

To the naked eye, the screen looks white but when put next to a can of white primer, the screen is a very light gray.

I wouldn't trade my sheetrock screen for a Draper, Dalite or Stewart!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
So you "fully" converted to the Gray Tropics color? I definitely wanted a grey screen due to my LCD projector, and it looks like you are in a similar situation with your Sanyo. The published ANSI contrast was 100:1...are you happy with the color of the screen?

For anyone trying to view those pictures, to get around the tripod ads, simply click and drag the link up to your address bar.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Yes, I'm happy with the color but plan on hopefully getting an xga dlp projector someday.

This is the first projector that I have owned.

I bought it used from a pawn shop for $1200 about 2.5 years ago.

I compared Behr "Ultra Pure White" with Behr "Gray Tropics" by putting "Ultra Pure White" on the left side and "Gray Tropics" on the right side.

This way I could compare both paints at the same time.

Gray Tropics was much better in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.