Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
such as "G2".

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Lei,I tried g2 adjustment,setting g2,adjusting g2and g2 pots,a current thread and No results.Whats up with the three character minimum ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever a short term exists in the search string, I got a message says that any term cannot be less than three characters. This makes it difficult to search terms such as "G2" and "XG", etc. I wonder if anybody has a good solution to this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Nope... the only mild success I've had was associating words closely to the similar words... for G2 I use Bias... a related term, and it usually works...

·
Registered
68 Posts
For 'G2', also try searching on 'pot' or 'pots'. They're potentiometers, which are known to their friends as 'pots'.

I just searched the CRT forum only for 'pots', and got 416 results. Of course, some of those may be way off topic, talking about cookery, ya never know. :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Just curious, why the search is limited by the character number? sofware or hardware limitation?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
IIRC, Dave restricted the search to 3 or more characters to preserve bandwidth. This was done back before they got the latest server upgrades.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I brought up this issue with David Bott back when they changed the software....

The problem isn't bandwidth - it's the fact that the search indexes are built around keywords. In other words, ever word entered into the site is put into an index table to speed up searches. Problem is that if they included 1 or 2 character words, they'd end up entering every single word in every single thread in existance.

Kal

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
What's really needed is a special list of 2 character terms that are frequently used on this board and should be indexed. G2 and XG come to mind. All other 2 character words should be ignored. There can't be all that many of these 2 character words that we would like to use / search on, and they can't occur all that often in threads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.