AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a few video files that have ac3 encoded audio. I'm wondering how I can get them to play with audio. I've tried various players such as PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer, but there's no audio. I checked ZP's filter properties and there isn't even an Audio Renderer when playing those files.

Do I need to download the freeware AC3 filter? I thought PowerDVD would be able to decode AC3 and even DTS?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Both PowerDVD and WinDVD on my machines can decode DD (ac3) & DTS. Check to make sure your version supports the decoding (maybe OEM doesn't?), and if so, then try de-installing and re-installing it. If still having problem after that, then need to know more, i.e., OS, soundcard, digital vs analog connections, etc...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well mine's the full version. I guess I'll try WinDVD and Sonic, I just though PowerDVD would work since I'm having no problem with my VOB files that have DD/DTS tracks. Its just ac3 encoded video files that I'm having trouble with.

My system is on Windows 2000, my soundcard is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with bothe analog and digital connections to my prepro. However, most of the time I'm using the S/PDIF digital output. The analog out is just for backup.

So I guess, what I'm trying to do here is hopefully to pass the ac3 encoded stream to my prepro to decode via the S/PDIF out, i.e. the same thing I'm doing for my DVDs. How would I do that?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hmm, with using the digital connection to your prepro you don't want the software player to decode the audio. In PowerDVD make sure its configured for 'Use SPDIF' in its audio tab / in WinDVD make sure 'Digital (S/PDIF) out to External Processor' is checked in its audio tab. In Window's sound and multimedia devices, make sure audio tab has the maudio spdif.

On the machine I have that has a digital connection to external receiver, I don't have PDVD but do have WinDVD and I am able to play a VOB file from the hard drive and have the pretty DD/DTS light come on. :)

------

oops, maybe I don't understand the question ...

"I just though PowerDVD would work since I'm having no problem with my VOB files that have DD/DTS tracks. Its just ac3 encoded video files that I'm having trouble with. "

DD *is* ac3. You can demux the DD from a VOB file (i.e., DVD2AVI) and you get a ac3 file which is identical sonically.

edit - what kind of file are you trying to play from your harddrive, vob, mpg, ... ?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I realize that, I made a mistake in my first post. The problem now is if the ac3 encoded file is any different from a DVD or a VOB file that has DD/DTS stream. I'm thinking it might be, since I'm unable to get the video file to work, but the vob/dvd works.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm still not sure what you mean by "video file"? (video file that can mean many different formats like vob, mpg, avi; just like audio file can mean different formats like wav, mp3, ac3).

If vob/dvd works, then does vob/hard drive?

If you leave it as an ac3 file (with the ac3 extension) are you able to get it to passthrough to your pre/pro? (I haven't tried this)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I mean an avi file. The avi file is encoded in divx3 low motion(video) and ac3(audio).

When I say vob I meant its already in the HDD. It works then, just not the avi file.

You mean I should try renaming the avi file to an ac3 file?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmn, I think having a normal avi video file with ac3 encoded audio is different from the actual Dolby Digital 5.1 stream in an MPEG-2 .vob file. I guess the ac3 stream is just what they get when they use a DVD ripper software and/or dvd2avi software.

So I guess even though its ac3 encoded, its actually not the same, which is why I still need an ac3 directshow filter? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm probably not going to be much help here since this is about divx/avi and I don't have much experience with that unfortunately.

"You mean I should try renaming the avi file to an ac3 file?"

No, I meant trying it with a real ac3 file. If you don't have one, you can use dvd2avi on a vob file that is on your hard drive, and demux the audio which should give you an ac3 file.

"Hmmn, I think having a normal avi video file with ac3 encoded audio is different from the actual Dolby Digital 5.1 stream in an MPEG-2 .vob file. I guess the ac3 stream is just what they get when they use a DVD ripper software and/or dvd2avi software.

So I guess even though its ac3 encoded, its actually not the same, which is why I still need an ac3 directshow filter? Is that correct?"

A standalone ac3 file is a computer file format for DD and is identical sonically to the DD in the VOB file - no ac3/DD encoding is involved when extracting the DD from a VOB and putting it into an ac3 file, just like a digital rip of 'cda' from CD to 44.1khz 16 bit wav is identical. I'm not up on directshow filters or what happens to ac3 going into divx or avi, so hopefully someone else has some ideas.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for helping Sherbona, I really appreciate it. I'll try to rip the ac3 files off one of my vob files and see if that plays correctly.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks doug, but that will mean I'm decoding the ac3 encoded stream on my computer and outputing the analog decoded audio to my prepro. Since I'm on an Audiophile 2496, that will mean I have to mux it to stereo only, rather than have all 5.1 channels. Is there a way to do AC3 passthrough with AVI files?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Goi,

All you really need from the audiofilters.zip file is a file called mpgaudio.ax

The .zip file also contains a file named MMSwitch.ax for switching the audio in avi files that contain multiple audio streams, but these are rare, so I don't install it. It also contains the InterVideo audio decoder (I think it's the demo version, so don't bother registering it, especially if you already have Windvd installed). I have WinDVD, so I don't need the filter.

You can simply copy the mpgaudio.ax file into your System or System32 directory and register it with the command "regsvr32 mpgaudio.ax".

The settings used will be the settings that WinDVD uses (digital SPDIF or analog). I've got mine set to use the digital output and it sends the AC3 sound to my receiver for processing.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, cool, the mpgaudio.ax works, I'm getting audio the same way as VOB/DVDs now. Thanks doug and Sherbona :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Great,

now.....how do I get ZP to use mpgaudio.ax?

I'm in the same situation, having AVI files w. AC3, and wanting to send the AC3 to external decoder.

I'm a real newbee when it comes to all the graph stuff,

so help would be VERY much appreciated.

Henrik

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sinobi, just do what doug_d said in his post, it worked for me. ZP automatically picks up the registered mpgaudio.ax filter for me, I didn't have to set anything up once it was registered.

·
Registered
514 Posts
So the reason why mine dosn't work is that I don't have WinDVD installed yet?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Since your connecting you sound card to the prepro, if you connect the analogue as well you will have a HDCD decoder in wdm 8 or 9 for any discs you own with that algorithm since it is a microsoft product.

Peter m.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Use the PowerDivx NexGen software to playback DivX files with AC3. Its the only player that has worked for AC3 passthrough for me. You of-course need a sound card with digital out to passthrough to an external receiver.

Getting AC3 passthrough is also possible with Windows Media player which involves mucking around with graphedit for each AVI file you need to play. Sorry dont have a reference handy.

- Nikhil

·
Registered
53 Posts
use ac3filter from doom9.net and make sure you have the right iviaudio.ax registered. it passes through ac3 from any player. i use media player 6.4.4.0 (google it). plays all media files incl .mov and real and dvds. very simple and configurable, esp audio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.