AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
it works very well, I also bought the Avermedia 4K and maybe it works even better .. the videos in hdr are treated in tone mapping by the avermedia hardware and are not managed by madVR .. I can't understand how to get the signal in hdr raw without tone mapping and then let madVR handle it. However, the result is exceptional because madVR manages everything else very well ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
it works very well, I also bought the Avermedia 4K and maybe it works even better .. the videos in hdr are treated in tone mapping by the avermedia hardware and are not managed by madVR .. I can't understand how to get the signal in hdr raw without tone mapping and then let madVR handle it. However, the result is exceptional because madVR manages everything else very well ..
Is this Avermedia 4K device pci express?
I am looking for a usb device. I have a powerful laptop

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just picked up a 4K60 S+ and am working on setting this up with a re-purposed gaming PC today. (Technically I got it working yesterday- and it looks great- but I need to bypass HDCP from my Yamaha receiver, and I'm getting some dropped frames and presentation glitches in PotPlayer so I'm trying to resolve those as well.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello the only way to do it is to use a HDFury Vertex, for me it works great! Then let me know if you can get hdr tone mapping processed with madvr in potplayer. It's very good to me, but the tone mapping is done directly from the Elgato or Avermedia card .. (they work the same)
steppi

Just picked up a 4K60 S+ and am working on setting this up with a re-purposed gaming PC today. (Technically I got it working yesterday- and it looks great- but I need to bypass HDCP from my Yamaha receiver, and I'm getting some dropped frames and presentation glitches in PotPlayer so I'm trying to resolve those as well.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tone mapping is not done direct from the Elgato card- it can pass through HDR information over USB 3.0, and is then processed by MadVR in PotPlayer. Tested and confirmed- just trying to eliminate some glitches.

Great test video is the LG Jazz video- gorgeous colors after tonemapping, almost makes the vanilla version look lifeless. Chain is currently NVIDIA Shield Pro -> file on my Plex server -> Plex -> HDMI out -> 4K60 S+ -> PC -> Projector.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Tone mapping is not done direct from the Elgato card- it can pass through HDR information over USB 3.0, and is then processed by MadVR in PotPlayer. Tested and confirmed- just trying to eliminate some glitches.

Great test video is the LG Jazz video- gorgeous colors after tonemapping, almost makes the vanilla version look lifeless. Chain is currently NVIDIA Shield Pro -> file on my Plex server -> Plex -> HDMI out -> 4K60 S+ -> PC -> Projector.
Pretty sure this would be a big deal if it all works. How are you handling audio?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pretty sure this would be a big deal if it all works. How are you handling audio?
Currently the audio is going into my AVR with the video, but the 4K60 S+ doesn't pass through Atmos/TrueHD, so my end pipeline is going to be AVR HDMI1 Out -> Projector HDMI 1 (don't need the game consoles to have latency introduced), and AVR HDMI 2 Out -> HDCP stripper (4K60 S+ doesn't have an HDCP handshake and the Yamaha AVR forces a handshake, so... stripping time!) -> 4K 60 S+ -> PC/MadVR -> Projector HDMI 2.

I'll have to tweak lip syncing in the Shield itself but since that's the device I'll be using, I'll feed that into the AVR and let it handle audio, then the PC only has to handle video. Will update more tonight after I get the stripper in hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just to update here: the 4K 60 S+ works great but the audio is so far ahead of the video that even far off lipsync offsets are difficult (and, I think, can vary depending on the latency of what you're processing). You can even see on Amazon where Elgato calls it out- the 4K60 S+ has a latency of 250ms to display in software (passthrough should be instant).

I'm running another test over the next few days: I'm going to cobble together an HTPC with the PCIe variant of the card (4K60 Mk. 2) that should have no input latency (well, it's always there, hopefully it's just minimal single-digit millisecond latency), and as long as MadVR is still processing at a good clip (I think at my current settings it was going at ~10ms a frame), I think this should make the audio lipsync much more manageable. We'll see. I do love playing with this stuff. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was able to process hdr tone mapping in madvr only in recording and playback. I can't do it in live, just like an Envy or Lumagen would do .. can you also confirm that it doesn't work in live? madvr processes everything except hdr

Just to update here: the 4K 60 S+ works great but the audio is so far ahead of the video that even far off lipsync offsets are difficult (and, I think, can vary depending on the latency of what you're processing). You can even see on Amazon where Elgato calls it out- the 4K60 S+ has a latency of 250ms to display in software (passthrough should be instant).

I'm running another test over the next few days: I'm going to cobble together an HTPC with the PCIe variant of the card (4K60 Mk. 2) that should have no input latency (well, it's always there, hopefully it's just minimal single-digit millisecond latency), and as long as MadVR is still processing at a good clip (I think at my current settings it was going at ~10ms a frame), I think this should make the audio lipsync much more manageable. We'll see. I do love playing with this stuff. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow am I really glad you did it? Do you use PotPlayer? Could you make a short video to show us the settings? I've been trying for weeks and I can't! Good boy!

Unless I'm missing something extraordinarily stupid, I am indeed tonemapping live content coming from the device.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright steppi- I even found your thread on Reddit trying to figure out why the Elgato wasn't passing through HDR metadata today- I'm afraid I've ended up at the same conclusion after diving in a bit deeper. (My earlier post about missing something extraordinarily stupid ended up being, in fact, correct: I am stupid!)

I've found only one other capture card that can process 4K HDR @ 60 Hz: the AverMedia here: Amazon.com: AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K - 4Kp60 HDR Capture Card, Ultra-Low Latency for Broadcasting and Recording PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, PCIe Gen2x4 (GC573): Computers & Accessories

Hopefully this one sends metadata through properly.

Blessed be Amazon's return policy. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have already done all the tests and it does not send hdr metadata not even avermedia which is the card I am using at the moment, I think it is the best. I returned the Egato with amazon, I currently own:

• Avermedia 4K
  • Blackmagic DeckLink Recorder 4K mini

At the moment blackmagic sends hdr metadata but I don't know why madvr does not read them, but the image is faded typical of unprocessed hdr, unlike Elgato and Avermedia which perform tone mapping via hardware .. I believe that the only solution is to develop Blackmagic sdk with a programmer .. Do you know anyone who can do this? we can pay it no problem!

Alright steppi- I even found your thread on Reddit trying to figure out why the Elgato wasn't passing through HDR metadata today- I'm afraid I've ended up at the same conclusion after diving in a bit deeper. (My earlier post about missing something extraordinarily stupid ended up being, in fact, correct: I am stupid!)

I've found only one other capture card that can process 4K HDR @ 60 Hz: the AverMedia here: Amazon.com: AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K - 4Kp60 HDR Capture Card, Ultra-Low Latency for Broadcasting and Recording PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, PCIe Gen2x4 (GC573): Computers & Accessories

Hopefully this one sends metadata through properly.

Blessed be Amazon's return policy. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright. Thanks for the heads-up. I think I will cut my experiment short for now then and watch this space over the next few months. I would love to get an Envy but unless I can grab one for a reasonable price I think homebrewing it would be the better solution... but it seems you and I are out of luck for now. :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
Very interesting. If I'm reading correctly, the only issue is HDR metadata? So if I wanted to just use 1080p, that would be fully functional?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Should be but that's not what I've been testing with.

I think I'll keep the HTPC intact because there's no way people don't continue to want and investigate this path in the future. And the Elgato tonemapping is still better than no tonemapping, I think; I would just love to figure out how to get that HDR metadata to PotPlayer and MadVR...

21 - 40 of 78 Posts