AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
UGH I keep playing around with this... the 4K60 S+ does send metadata info to tonemap. Check out the debug MadVR menu- and not pictured, but in the beta version I can also see the color curve in the top right of the screen.

I think this might work... hardware decoding is on too, so latency isn’t too bad...

I’ll be testing more today because of course I will... :) Waiting on a hopefully better splitter to come in to hook my AVR up to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
UGH I keep playing around with this... the 4K60 S+ does send metadata info to tonemap. Check out the debug MadVR menu- and not pictured, but in the beta version I can also see the color curve in the top right of the screen.

I think this might work... hardware decoding is on too, so latency isn’t too bad... View attachment 3120091

I’ll be testing more today because of course I will... :) Waiting on a hopefully better splitter to come in to hook my AVR up to.
Good boy! Was this shot taken in live version or did you record and then after playing the file?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very interesting. If I'm reading correctly, the only issue is HDR metadata? So if I wanted to just use 1080p, that would be fully functional?
Yes, I can confirm that it works great in 1080, but also in 4k, even in 4k hdr, but the hdr tone mapping is handled very well by the Avermedia or Elgato card. Too bad for the moment not being able to manage the hdr tone mapping with madvr ... but I think it's just a matter of configurations ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately back to work now, but I'll answer more q's later. (Also got a case for the HTPC so I'll be migrating it from the big ol' gaming tower I have.)

I'm on MadVR 113, I'm using PotPlayer. Do you have "Enable HDR" checked in the 4K60S+ settings?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright. Very happy with the setup I have now. I'm getting a few more 4K HDMI splitters to test with tomorrow- I think the first one I got was just very cheap and doesn't handle switching resolutions/HDR particularly well- and if that goes well I'll do a more detailed write-up this weekend for here and probably the HTPC subreddit.

Did a test of The Meg with vanilla AVR and the MadVR tonemap since I've heard it's a projector nightmare; good lord, the vanilla HDR master burns your retinas. The MadVR tonemap does an excellent job, but woof, that is a bad-looking movie.

NVIDIA Shield pure output -> Sony VPL695ES:

MadVR tonemapped image:

While it's difficult to tell in pictures, the vanilla HDR master is almost UNBEARABLY bright. Like, my eyes actively hurt for a second when I switched over to the AVR.

Apart from that, clouds are easily defined in the tonemapped version, colors look more natural (the orange box on the left and the hull overall are good indicators), and skin tones look better (not so easily discerned in this shot, but pretty easy to tell in other scenes).

For a bonus, here's the color and light output of that frame courtesy of MadVR. What a terrible composition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright. Very happy with the setup I have now. I'm getting a few more 4K HDMI splitters to test with tomorrow- I think the first one I got was just very cheap and doesn't handle switching resolutions/HDR particularly well- and if that goes well I'll do a more detailed write-up this weekend for here and probably the HTPC subreddit.

Did a test of The Meg with vanilla AVR and the MadVR tonemap since I've heard it's a projector nightmare; good lord, the vanilla HDR master burns your retinas. The MadVR tonemap does an excellent job, but woof, that is a bad-looking movie.

NVIDIA Shield pure output -> Sony VPL695ES:

MadVR tonemapped image:

While it's difficult to tell in pictures, the vanilla HDR master is almost UNBEARABLY bright. Like, my eyes actively hurt for a second when I switched over to the AVR.

Apart from that, clouds are easily defined in the tonemapped version, colors look more natural (the orange box on the left and the hull overall are good indicators), and skin tones look better (not so easily discerned in this shot, but pretty easy to tell in other scenes).

For a bonus, here's the color and light output of that frame courtesy of MadVR. What a terrible composition.
I just compared your screenshots with mine, which I now post below. I noticed many differences, for example "matrix BT.709" instead you have "BT.2020", have you set something in particular in potplayer? what filters do you use? LavVideo Decoder? Lav Splitter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nope- no filters on my end. Just MadVR.

In Elgato 4K Capture Utility, does it show an HDR icon indicating HDR is coming through?

·
Registered
22 Posts

In Elgato 4K Capture Utility, does it show an HDR icon indicating HDR is coming through?
Before I had the Elgato 4k60 Pro mk2 (PCI express) but I returned it with Amazon because it did not work well with hdr as I always write to you here. I now have an Avermedia 4k (pc express), which works very well, but has the same problem as hdr. Today I bought your Elgato 4k S + device on amazon, it will arrive tomorrow, and tomorrow night I try to make it work, with your own card it must work! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great! I'll be in this thread still in case you need anything. Hopefully it's still pretty plug and play. Looking forward to doing my own more detailed write-up soon. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
No filters?

No filters?

What kind of processing are you doing with madVR, if any?

I'm more concerned about cleaning up and refining the image than 4K tonemapping, personally... any limitations there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No filters?

No filters?

What kind of processing are you doing with madVR, if any?

I'm more concerned about cleaning up and refining the image than 4K tonemapping, personally... any limitations there?
Hello! I have tried very well the cleaning up and refining the image and it works very well, the difference is incredible! If your aim is just that I suggest you buy an Elgato or Avermedia ..

·
Registered
1 Posts

I think this might work... hardware decoding is on too, so latency isn’t too bad... View attachment 3120091

Please tell us your settings of the pot and madvr on picture

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great! I'll be in this thread still in case you need anything. Hopefully it's still pretty plug and play. Looking forward to doing my own more detailed write-up soon. :)
Hello! the Elgato arrived today, I immediately tried it. I confirm that hdr works great with Nvidia Shield but I have a huge lag problem with PotPlayer .. what resolution do you use? Can you send me some screenshots? Can you confirm that you have connected the HDMI socket of the video card to the projector? No HDMI output from Elgato?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Steppi: after playing around with this some more and looking at the components required to effectively "build my own Envy", I've realized that I've spend almost $2k on the project... I'm gonna step back and return some stuff since this is all experimental and that's a huge amount to sink in with no guaranteed return on investment. At least I'll only be out the cheap Windows license I paid for.

Good luck- I'll be watching... but I think I personally might just save some pennies for an actual Envy unit. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Steppi: after playing around with this some more and looking at the components required to effectively "build my own Envy", I've realized that I've spend almost $2k on the project... I'm gonna step back and return some stuff since this is all experimental and that's a huge amount to sink in with no guaranteed return on investment. At least I'll only be out the cheap Windows license I paid for.

Good luck- I'll be watching... but I think I personally might just save some pennies for an actual Envy unit. :(
In my opinion my pc as it is set up now is more powerful than an Envy, I have an Nvidia 3090 ... in fact when I use my Kodi DsPlayer to play my mkv 4k hdr I am struck every time more and more by the video quality of madvr. I really recommend you to continue with the Elgato road because I believe I am at a point very close to perfection!

Returning to my question .. does it report any lag delays to you? Are audio and video synchronized?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not really, though I've already packed the stuff and shipped it back- I think I had an audio delay of 207ms set in my AVR. Which sounds on par with what the Envy expects- IIRC it's working on a ~175ms delay there.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts