AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't chastise me. I did a search and couldn't find a good answer. When watching letterbox (non anamorphic) dvds on my RP-62 to panny 300 what are the correct settings. Last time I had both pj and dvd set to 16x9 and I had a letterboxed image on screen with short fat people. I then hit zoom on the pj which corrected the problem, but I think when I do that I miss the edges of the image. My guess is that I need to set the DVD to 4x3 and pj to zoom and then I will get a full screen image with nothing missed. Is this correct?

Thanx

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't anyone have an answer? I know I've seen it on here before, but couldn't find it when searching.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can also set the pj to 4:3.

There really isn't an acceptable solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my opinion the only two choices are setting the projector to 4:3 which will give the best results (image quality) but now you have black bars on the top and sides of the screen and the second is set the 300U to 16:9 and Zoom which may only leave back bars on the top and bottom but image quality will not be as good. At least that has been my experience with the 300U. I am actually pretty disapointed with the 300U's zoom function, I find that the image quality suffers greatly. I don't remember having to use the zoom feature on the ae100 but then again I was using a different DVD Player with the AE100 and now I use the "free" RP61 with the AE300 and when the source material is 4:3 the dvd players zoom feature in not available.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
gobrigavitch,

Seems like you must have been watching a 4:3 Pan and Scan DVD if you got short fat people in 16:9 mode. I'm not sure this issue has anything to do with the Panny or its modes. I never use the zoom feature. If it's a 1.78:1 ratio DVD then it fills the screen in 16:9 mode

2.35:1 ratio DVD then I have black bars at the top and bottom in 16:9

1.33:1 ratio TV (I won't watch P&S DVDs), then there are black bars on the left and right.

If you have short fat people or tall skinny people, then you're in the wrong mode.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacksonian, that is if it is an anamorphic DVD. If it is a letterboxed widescreen dvd the black bars will be on the top in bottom. If the DVD player is set to 16x9 it just stretches the whole image to fit 16x9 so the picture will have people stretched. I used zoom on the projector to put the people back into there proper size. I think when I use zoom it not only expands it vertically, but also horizontally. So I have a suspicion I was likely losing the sides of the image when viewed this way. So far the only disc I've seen this way was Beloved so it isn't an issue that happens often. Next time I'll experiment a little to find the best solution. I need to find the settings to fill the screen without losing any content.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Zoom is the correct mode for non-anamorphic widescreen material, it expands the image to screen width whilst maintaining the aspect ratio.

With Component/S-video or Composite you will get a small amount of overscan (image beyond the edges of the screen), but you get this with 16:9 as well. It's only a few % and not worth worrying about, it's vastly better than most TV's manage :)

The only way to eliminate overscan completely is to go HTPC.

-- Jon

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ditto. goth is absolutely correct.

Also, there are a LOT of movies that are **not** anamorphic ... unfortunately. :(

The Abyss (amazingly enough), The English Patient, Presumed Innocent, The Deer Hunter, Dirty Dancing, Clear and Present Danger, Conan, The Crow, Deep Impact, The Game, Highlander, Ladyhawke, Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Last of the Mohicans, Rounders, Strange Days, Titanic, The Truman Show, Tron, X-Files, Ransom, Seven, Quiz Show, Pulp Fiction ...

JUST TO NAME A FEW!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I did some experimenting last night and found exactly what you say. Zoom did work perfectly. It seems that for letterbox movies it doesn't matter whether the DVD player is set to 16x9 or 4x3. The signal that comes out is the same. It really only matters for Anamorphic DVDs which will be letterboxed in 4x3 mode and not in 16x9 mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.