AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I realize my Harman Kardon AVR 240 doesn't have multi-room or dual zone capabilities, but...is there any way or workaround to play music from the receiver to my two outside porch speakers?

I have my home theater 5.1 setup, but also have wired two speakers from my screen in porch that I'd like to be able to play indepently of the speakers inside.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

a quick glance at the manual shows it doesn't have speaker b either (unless i missed it), so no, you can't...

if you only wanted to listen in one location at a time, i suppose you could run the front l/r through a speaker selector switch...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could I hook up my mp3 player to the "tape in" of the avr 240 receiver using a 3.5 mini jack to rca cable and use the "tape out" via rca speaker wires to play to the outdoor speakers?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanno /forum/post/19533872

could I hook up my mp3 player to the "tape in" of the avr 240 receiver using a 3.5 mini jack to rca cable and use the "tape out" via rca speaker wires to play to the outdoor speakers?

No, the "tape out" is line level, not amplified. You would need another amp.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

dunno... unlikely there'd be a "noticeable" difference... it's a pretty basic circuit...

running just your center channel won't buy you anything though... unless all you want on the other speakers is whatever is on that channel...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks...I think that the avr 240 has a mode where it just plays music in stereo through the center speaker, so if I had it in that mode, I could just switch the music to the outdoor speakers and not hear it inside.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

nope, you'd get it out of the l/r at that point...

unless it has a "true mono" mode (where everything is downmixed to the center speaker), then yes, it would work that way...

also keep in mind that splitting one speaker output to two speakers (i.e. split the output from the splitter between 2 speakers) may cause the avr to become very unhappy...

your "better" option is to run the l/r through the splitter...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Chris...you are right. It appears I wouldn't use the center speaker, but instead use the left and right speakers to run through the selector. Here is a mode on the HK AVR 240 I think I would use:

"Surround Off" This mode turns off all surround processing and presents the pure left- and right-channel presentation of two-channel stereo programs.

(Stereo) When used with an analog audio source, you may select between a digitized Surround Off mode, in which the incoming signal is digitized

and any bass management settings are applied, or an analog bypass Surround Off mode, in which the incoming signal is passed directly to

the volume control and a full-range signal is sent to your left and right main speakers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
you got it...

yup, that sounds like the right option to me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts