AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I own a lot of Bollywood DVD's (funny because they are mostly for my wife, who is not Indian at all). They are Region 0 DVD's, meaning they should play in all players.

BUT when I load any of these kinds of discs into my HTPC, they freeze up and lock the system after 5 minutes of playback.

They are NTSC discs so that isn't the problem.

I even bought and installed DVD Region+CSS Free and both WinDVD and PowerDVD still lock up when I try to play these Region 0 discs.

Anyone have any suggestions so we can watch these Region 0 DVD's on the HTPC? Thanks!

My HTPC:

AMD Duron 1.3 Ghz

512 MB Memory

Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128mb video card

120GB HDD, 40GB HDD (for linux)

DVD-ROM

CD-Burner

Windows 2000 Pro/MEPIS Linux Dual Boot

CMI sound card and SB MP3+ USB audio device with optical out

WinDVD, PowerDVD, and now DVD Region+CSS Free.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Out of curiousity have you tried ripping 1 to the hard drive and then playing it back?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Out of curiousity have you tried ripping 1 to the hard drive and then playing it back?
That hadn't crossed my mind. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump for ideas to get region 0 DVD's to play on an HTPC.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone else regularly watch Region 0 DVD's?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have several all region dvds and they play flawlessly on my HTPC. My dvd drives are all region-free, if that makes a difference. If your dvd drive(s) are not region-free, there may be a conflict...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CCarncross
I have several all region dvds and they play flawlessly on my HTPC. My dvd drives are all region-free, if that makes a difference. If your dvd drive(s) are not region-free, there may be a conflict...
I am almost certain my DVD-ROM drive is NOT region free, but that is why I bought DVD Region+CSS free, but even with that software (Which I got for several reasons), I can't watch a Region 0 disc.

Anyone with a dvd-rom drive that is NOT region free able to get region 0 DVD's playing in your HTPC? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Did you try ripping one yet? That will isolate the dvdrom drive region issue form the equation. It onyl takes a few minutes...

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
An alternative to ripping would be DVDIdle. It deals with the region issue and caches the material either to memory or hard drive (user selectable).

They have a trial version that allows you to view about 30 minutes of a movie before it gives you some type of annoying message regarding buying it. I think it's $19.95 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
A couple questions: What brand and model is your DVDROM? Is it a DVD-ROM, or an +/-R, or an +/-RW? Are you absolutely positive the DVDs are R0? Can you play them in a regular DVD player? What software (i.e. Zoomplayer, TheaterTek 1 or 2, etc) and/or processing (ffdshow, Reclock, etc )are you using to play the DVDs?

Anyway, I think DVD Idle does the same thing DVD Region+CSS Free does, except that it does something to drive speeds to quiet them. Still, I'm running Region+CSS on a Sony DVD+-R/W using the stock firmware (i.e. the drive is RCE locked), and I can play other-region DVDs just fine. I can't think if I've tried any R0 discs, but I can play HDD rips just fine. Maybe the problem is that R0 discs are already region-free and confusing either the drive or Region+CSS, although that sounds like something either one would have caught by now.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went ahead and ripped one of the Indian DVD's with DVD decrypter and it worked.

Not only that, but as some of you said, it went by REALLY fast (10 minutes or so).

My issue was I wanted to be able to rent an Indian movie and watch it via the HTPC (instead of our horrid stand alone DVD player). We can only keep these DVD's one night, so it is critical to have a quick rip and play.

Looks that can be done, with no hitches. Thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.