AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the SVS CS+ 20-39, and am powering it off one channel of my EAD PM1000. Its grrreeeaatttt! I have it placed in the back corner of my room, and but i can localize the sound to the back of the room. Was wondering if the sub extends lower by port blocking, i would be less able to localize the sound.....does my assumption have any truth?

Now i have the foam plug, but how do i put it in the port to tune the sub lower? Excuse my ignorance.

Regards.

· Registered
3,755 Posts
The port block will extend output a bit, at a slight decrease in maximum output at higher frequencies. However it will have little to no effect on localization. The localization could be more psychological than real, that is, you know where the sub is, so you perceive the sound as coming from that location. Most people cannot detect the directionality of bass below 100Hz. If you are talking about sensing directionality of sub-50Hz, that is very hard to do. If you are cluing in on 60-80Hz sounds (which are sent to your sub), then the port block is not going to change anything.

Tom B.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
I always had trouble integrating subs that were positioned on opposite walls as the main speakers. It might be a phasing issue or a psychological one , I simply do not know, but it has never worked for me, there was always this "disembodied", not blended effect.

Having the sub go lower is not going to help specially with the frequencies it is already reproducing strongly.

· Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Steve's 2nd suggestion is very likely. Even if you manage to stop items in the room from vibrating you still have to worry about the walls. I had the same problem with my (DIY) subs and had to move them to the front of the room...

· Registered
692 Posts
Azam,

You should have received this sheet that explained the procedure but we might have forgotten yours? You need Adobe viewer to access it here but holler if you can't (e-mail me, I can't quite figure out who you are in our customer database!).

My guess is that your localization observation has more to do with your receiver/processor crossover point, and (as the guys above have suggested) what's in the immediate vicinity of the sub. If your receiver has a variable crossover try a lower point. Some are fixed, and some are fixed at a relatively high frequency. In my own HT I can just detect a bit of "direction" on a single sub when it is "crossed" at 100Hz. At 80Hz this all but disappears.

So while there is little you can do here, things near the sub may be resonating somewhat. Even mild acoustical cues from a vibrating picture, or simply sheet-rock can easily draw your attention that way. Movement (even just a few inches sometimes) may help, as with trying to dampen anything nearby that can rattle.

Putting in the port plug will indeed lower your 20-39 CS-Plus's tuning point to approximately 15-16Hz. This COULD help attenuate slightly upper bass peaks that your current placement may be accentuating. The addition of strong response down another 5Hz could have the effect of changing your perception of "where the bass is coming from". Could. I seriously doubt it'll be a silver bullet.

Let us know if you have any problems downloading the tuning sheet instructions, or anything else for that matter.

Ron

· Registered
161 Posts
I've found a similar issue... while the sound itself may be not directional to your ears... I think that your body can sense where the 'pressure wave' starts.

For example, imagine a single kick drum hit.

When speakers and sub are in front, the wave hits the front of your body first...

When speakers and sub are in opposite ends, the wave comes at you from both sides.

I even noticed this when I had my shakers mounted on a chair , but 'facing' backwards. The 'thumps' were there, but they 'felt' funny. Things got better when I inverted the phase on the shakers.

Carlos

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I got the procedure from the sheet, thanks. I will try and move things around and see if i can *localize less*.

I may be imagining it.

Regards.

· Premium Member
Denon 3800, 83" LG C1, Rythmik F18 Subwoofer, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, Diva 8.1Towers Front & Rear
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theSSthatcould
I have it placed in the back corner of my room, and but i can localize the sound... I may be just imagining it...
You are not imagining it. I had the same problem with my SVS sub. I tried crossing it over lower and that helped a little bit, but then it didn't sound as good with Movies to me. I ended up solving the problem by moving it up front behind my main speakers. I have heard alot of other folks say that the SVS really blends the best when they are up front in a corner, or at least up front somewhere near your main speakers. This seemed especially true with Movies as I could clearly hear the "BOOM!" coming from the side of the room instead of on the TV screen and I found that very distracting. Moving it up front brought everything together again.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
>>>Thanks for the reply.

I got the procedure from the sheet, thanks. I will try and move things around and see if i can *localize less*.

I may be imagining it.

Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.