AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too happy about just yanking the plug with the unit in Standby, since the hard drive seems to still be running. I tried holding the power button in but that just forced a reboot. What is the proper way to shut the unit off so that it can be unplugged and moved?

I search the FAQ. I searched the forum. I looked in the User's Guide. Might not have searched for the right thing, but I didn't find an answer. I will keep looking in hopes of answering my own question.

David

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I don't believe they expect you to turn it off. I've pulled the plug

30 times now without any visible problems. I always make sure

the live buffer is off (play item from replay guide and hit stop)

and nothing is recording, put the unit in standby, wait 10 seconds,

make sure I can't hear any HD seeking, pull the plug.

I notice that if I use 'enable disk spindown' in CFP then the 5040

seems to flush out stuff to disk (when put in standby) because I

get the Please Standby notice next time I bring the unit out of

standby. It's almost as if it is going through the motions of disk

spindown from the OS side but it doesn't have the ability to

physically cut the power to the drive (so the drive just keeps on

spinning) On my SS the drives would spindown.

I think enabling disk spindown would be safest, but my current

procedure hasn't had any ill effects yet.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
"Yanking" the plug has worked fine for me.

I would just make a practice of waiting half a minute before plugging it back in.

I think surging/brownouts, and manual (warm) reboots during a crash are worse than simple power removal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
I'm not too happy about just yanking the plug with the unit in Standby, since the hard drive seems to still be running. I tried holding the power button in but that just forced a reboot. What is the proper way to shut the unit off so that it can be unplugged and moved?
I always hold the power button in to force a reboot, and just as it shuts down but before it starts to reboot I pull the power cord.

I know everyone here always says "just pull the plug" when it's in standby, but who knows if it happens to be writing something to the hard drive at the time (for example, the new channel guide it just downloaded seconds earlier). I don't want to risk it. When it's first rebooting, it's doing nothing, and if you wait too long and pull the plug slightly farther into the reboot process, all it would be doing is reading from the hard drive, which of course is perfectly safe to interrupt.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.