AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a home that has a Niles ZR-8630AV whole home audio system. What is the best way to add Pandora to the system? I was thinking an AppleTV or Roku box plugged into one of the Inputs and then use my iPhone to control? Is there a simpler solution? Thanks for any advice...this is all new to me.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
"Simplest" would be a Sonos Connect. That will be more expensive than an AppleTV or Roku, even when you add an external DAC if needed. But the question is one of usability - if you've got a Roku /AppleTV now, try controlling it solely from the mobile app and see how successful you are. Can you move between a digital library, to Internet Radio, to Pandora, etc. all without looking at the GUI on the TV? If the answer is "yep, I can do that and it's easy enough", then there's your answer... If not, step up to the Sonos, which was built for that usage model from the start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I think keeping it simple would make it more useful, even if it costs a little more. I'll have to look at the Sonos Connect a little closer. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot I had an old Apple Airport Express laying about so I hooked it up and it works great. I can control the music from my iPhone Remote app, and Apple has a pandor-ish radio service now which seems to be working nicely. This may work for us as I have my phone in my pocket pretty much all the time :)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy123  /t/1523589/how-to-push-internet-rad...es-zr-8630av-mulitzone-receiver#post_24523684

I forgot I had an old Apple Airport Express laying about so I hooked it up and it works great. I can control the music from my iPhone Remote app, and Apple has a pandor-ish radio service now which seems to be working nicely. This may work for us as I have my phone in my pocket pretty much all the time :)

Just realize what's going to happen when your phone rings and you have to take the call... And that phone might get a bit warm in your pocket after an hour of streaming...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) Maybe I should just use an old iPod touch I have, instead! Thanks for pointing that out...guess I hadn't thought it through.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy123  /t/1523589/how-to-push-internet-rad...es-zr-8630av-mulitzone-receiver#post_24523930

:) Maybe I should just use an old iPod touch I have, instead! Thanks for pointing that out...guess I hadn't thought it through.

Old iPod Touch, especially if you have any sort of charging dock to set it in, is a great way to go...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts