AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have read somewhere that there is a way to quiet the fan(slow it down or turn it off if necessary) in the OTA box in the 6000 receiver. Any help would be much appreciated, this fan is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The quick and easy way is to unplug it. Disconnect the 6000 from all cables. Remove the 8VSB module. Remove the phillips screw and the nut around the RF connector. Remove the thin cover. Unplug the fan. Reassemble.

Keep the 6000 cool and it should be nice and quiet. This does void you warrenty so only do this if you can accept that. Others have done this without any problems. If your 6000 sits on top of other componets or its area is normally hot, you may find that the 6000 will act up.

If you need service, try plugging the fan back in first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you reconnect the fan at a later date, is warranty still voided?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
ditto what Mr. Dycus Says..

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have not tried this yet but there was another thread where the stock fan was replaced by this one;

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/a-p/40mm5vdcfan.html

The new fan was very quiet but you needed to find a couple of new screws to hold it in as the old nylon screws would snap on removal.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattro
If you reconnect the fan at a later date, is warranty still voided?
If you reconnect it properly, then I could not see how they could tell. You should be careful and not scratch it up when getting too and unplugging the fan. And by all means, don't unplug the fan if the 6000 is in a hot area.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
To coin a phrase from the movie War Games when the General dude was told that a computer was on the verge of starting a nuclear war on it's own..

"Just unplug the gawd damn thang.." ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.