AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

If i wanted to record OTA HD, would i be able to do that with a dvd recorder or does it not have a digital tuner? If it has a digital tuner would i be able to use it as a tuner for my tv? If it doesnt have the digital tuner than i would need to be a tuner before it or get a high-end dvr that had one in it, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart /forum/post/0

They (current DVD Recorders) don't have digital tuners.

You could record OTA HD from a separate tuner as long as it (the tuner) downconverted to 480i first. Current DVD Recorders also don't record HD.

Am I thinking right here. If you receive OTA-HD by a TV with a built in ATSC tuner then you could run s-video or composite out from the TV to the DVD recorder. Since these connections only output 480i you should be successful.

But this is downrezd HD. When I think of recording OTA-HD..... firewire, D-VHS, standalone HD-DVR's, and PC's come to mind with no downrezing.

Yes?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO /forum/post/0

Am I thinking right here. If you receive OTA-HD by a TV with a built in ATSC tuner then you could run s-video or composite out from the TV to the DVD recorder. Since these connections only output 480i you should be successful.

But this is downrezd HD. When I think of recording OTA-HD..... firewire, D-VHS, standalone HD-DVR's, and PC's come to mind with no downrezing.

Yes?

I'm not sure what you're unsure about.

You can record HD OTA as 480i as we've discussed (from any device with an ATSC tuner that can output the signal in 480i). Or you can record HD OTA preserving the HD part as you described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.