AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have 2 solid state hi-fi amps with some problems. They are Arcam Alpha 7K and Technics SU-V660. I believe both of them are around 20 years old.

On the Arcam, I often lose the left channel after some vibration on the desk. If I apply slight pressure to the top of the amp unit for about 1 second, the channel is restored.

On the Technics amp I have a similar problem that intermittently applies to either or both channels. Wiggling the volume knob or banging the top of the amp often fixes the problem. Of the 2 amps, this one is harder to fix (sometimes I can spend 2-3 minutes trying to get it to work, only for it to die again 10 minutes later).

On both amps the other knobs such as bass, treble and balance are completely unresponsive. They seem to have no effect whatsoever on the tone any more.

Are these problems easily repairable? Is it something I could do myself? I'm pretty comfortable opening up a computer and adding/removing components, but my soldering skills are poor. Somebody told me it's just a case of removing the covers and cleaning the dust from the knobs, that has hardened with the oil. Perhaps even as simple as using some canned air to blow out the dust? Would this level of experience be sufficient to give it a go (i.e. with very little risk of permanent damage) or should I just find a professional? If so, what kind of ballpark figures am I looking at? I'm based in Ireland just south of Dublin - any recommendations for service professionals here would be appreciated. Also if there are any links on YouTube for a DIY job please let me know (I'm really not sure what to search for).

Thanks,

Adam.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Find some canned contact cleaner aerosol spray. It's heavy on solvents and lubricants with a volatile carrier that will evaporate quickly. Power off the equipment and disconnect from the mains. Pop the covers to get access to the innards. Spray the stuff into any gaps you can get at on the control pots. Work the pots vigorously back and forth to spread the stuff around.

Do the same for any switches.

You might also wiggle any cables interconnecting pc boards.

Older gear suffers from oxidized contacts and crud buildup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts