AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to OTA HD and have an old Terk TV42 antenna mounted on a dish on my roof. I no longer have the dish subscription, but the Terk uses the dish receiver as the amplifier. What type of standalone amplifier would I use to replace the dish receiver, which I'd rather get rid of all together?

One other question: What is the correct sequence for splitting an amplified antenna signal (I want to run it to two rooms in the house)? Can I go antenna > splitter > amplifier > tv's ? Or would I put the amplifier in front of the splitter?

I actually just bought a LacrosseA antenna but haven't set it up. I just happened to do a scan with the Terk (I had always used it just for VHF analog signals) and I got a whole bunch of clear digital channels. Not sure I'll set up the Lacrosse after all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The Dish receiver is acting as a power supply for the amp in the TV42, it's not acting as an amp itself. Sat receivers by nature send out voltage to the dish to control the LNB's and the antenna you have is using that voltage to power it's internal amp also.

You need to get an inline power supply for the antenna.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. So, I saw an inline 10db signal amplifier at Radio Shack...this would be more for signal loss (over a long run of coax, for example) than what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You don't need an inline amp, you need an inline power supply to inject power into the coax to power the amp built into your antenna...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.