AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an ATV2 and I'm really enjoying the device. However, I'm noticing a problem with ripped dvd's.

I just ripped a couple of my dvd's using DVDFab with the AppleTV profile (with Dolby Surround chosen as the audio format) and added them to my iTunes library, which is shared over the network. When I play the movies from my ATV2, I only get stereo - no Dolby 5.1.

I know DD5.1 output is working properly on my ATV2 because it shows up on purchased or rented movies and Netflix titles that support it. It's only missing on my dvd rips. I'm confused - any advice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, there are two possible issues. First, you have to be sure that the ripper actually passes thru AC3 surround track into the resulting file. You can verify this by opening it up in the QuickTime player or in iTunes. Get Info on the file, and check the properties to see if you have AC3 in addition to stereo audio tracks. (I use Handbrake...works like a charm.)

If the file has AC3, then it is probably the file name extension. Apple devices use the .m4v file name extension to trigger the player to use the AC3 surround is available. If your file has a .mp4 extension, that's the problem.

Give it a whirl!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - when I look at info they only show Stereo. But yet when I ripped the DVD's, I specifically chose "Dolby Surround \\ ProLogic" and made sure AC-3\\5.1 was the selected audio track. I've now tried this on several different DVD's with the same result - the ripped file is always stereo.

Is there a way to accomplish this with DVDFab? I could try Handbrake but prefer DVDFab as it seems to have a more user-friendly interface.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool - handbrake works great. I tried it on a couple of DVD's using the Apple Universal preset. The only settings I changed were under Subtitles I selected "Forced" and "Burned In".

The ripped dvd's are playing in glorious DD 5.1 just fine from the ATV now. Outstanding...

By the way I really like the queue feature in Handbrake. Now that I know what presets to use, I just loaded up 10 more dvd folders to be ripped automatically, with the computer set to shut down when done. That's really handy - I can rip a bunch of dvd folders each night. At this rate I'll have my entire dvd library converted in no time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.