AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of ripping my TV series onto my HTPC and I've come across a problem with The Office. I rip using DVDShrink and only rip the main movie, main soundtrack, and any forced subs to folders. I do this for both TV series and movies.

So far, all of my other TV series have an individual file for each episode. The Office has one big file for all episodes and sometimes two big files for six episodes (season 1).

How can I split the files up into single episodes to still keep my folder structure and be able to select individual episodes in Media Browser?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If its one big file I dont know that any app can just sense that you want to rip them into smaller files. You might have to use something like virtualdub and literally cut and splice the files into smaller ones.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Usually each chapter will be an episode.

I don't know what file format you are finally arriving at when viewing in MB, but you could use something like Handbrake. In Handbrake you can select your one big file, and tell it to encode chapter 1 to 1, then do 2 to 2, and so on.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Shrink allows to to set the "start" frame and "end" frame for any rip (point to title and right click). This allows you to take only a segment of a single title. In your case, an individual episode.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee /forum/post/18248749

Shrink allows to to set the "start" frame and "end" frame for any rip (point to title and right click). This allows you to take only a segment of a single title. In your case, an individual episode.

Awesome! I didn't even know that feature was in there! It let's you rip by a starting and ending chapter even... exactly what I needed!

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18249263

Awesome! I didn't even know that feature was in there! It let's you rip by a starting and ending chapter even... exactly what I needed!

That was going to be my question after I saw Bob's comment. Can it do it by chapter? Looks like you are good to go.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18249369

That was going to be my question after I saw Bob's comment. Can it do it by chapter? Looks like you are good to go.

Yep, you can pick a starting and ending chapter. I like DVDShrink even more now...

·
Registered
250 Posts
makeMKV does this by default when you rip it rips each title (in this case episode) that you choose into a separate .mkv file

you just need to rename them into the sXXeXX.mkv format that mediabrowser needs to collect and display the correct metadata.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/18249905

makeMKV does this by default when you rip it rips each title (in this case episode) that you choose into a separate .mkv file

you just need to rename them into the sXXeXX.mkv format that mediabrowser needs to collect and display the correct metadata.

The problem is he has one big file that contains all the episodes. Are you saying somehow makemkv can parse this file out into each episode?

How? I don't recall seeing any settings in for this makemkv. That said I've never had to deal with a file like that, nor I have I used all of the makemkv options, so I can't say for certain.

Perhaps you can tell it to output a different file for each chapter in the chapter list?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And another issue (in my case at least) is that one chapter does not equal one episode. It breaks down something like this:

chapters 1-4: episode 1

chapters 5-8: episode 2

chapters 9-13: episode 3

If there's a way to automate this a bit more... that would be great... but DVDShrink does a pretty nice job. So far, The Office is the only one in my collection like this; everything else is 1 title is 1 episode.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I know a way but you need a lot of disk space and a bit of work.

1- Rip the file.

2- Load the file into VirtualDubMod (it does read mpeg2 files)

3- cut each part and put them in the process queue.

4- Set the video and audio to direct stream mode.

5- start the queue.

Or you can find an mpeg2 editor like the one that comes with the Hauppauge capture card or another on the web. I don't know any free one though.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18249980

And another issue (in my case at least) is that one chapter does not equal one episode. It breaks down something like this:

chapters 1-4: episode 1

chapters 5-8: episode 2

chapters 9-13: episode 3

If there's a way to automate this a bit more... that would be great... but DVDShrink does a pretty nice job. So far, The Office is the only one in my collection like this; everything else is 1 title is 1 episode.

Oh, I believe the batch file DDMFRip.bat (search on goolge for it) can do this with the help of dvddecrypter.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18249945

The problem is he has one big file that contains all the episodes. Are you saying somehow makemkv can parse this file out into each episode?

How? I don't recall seeing any settings in for this makemkv. That said I've never had to deal with a file like that, nor I have I used all of the makemkv options, so I can't say for certain.

Perhaps you can tell it to output a different file for each chapter in the chapter list?

i was going off the assumption that he was ripping from a disc, not a file.

and yes, makeMKV gives you a different mkv file for each title on the disc.

i've done it for a few tv shows i have on DVD and it worked fine.

maybe those show dvd's weren't the norm, but it worked fine for me [shrug]

at the very least it's worth a try since it's a lot more simple than some crazy VirtualDubMod batch run

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To clarify... I am ripping from a disc, but there is only one title. That one title covers three episodes that I would like to split up for playback in Media Browser.

Thank you to rbmcgee... I did find a solution that works for me, but others might be interested in other methods too...

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18250053

To clarify... I am ripping from a disc, but there is only one title. That one title covers three episodes that I would like to split up for playback in Media Browser.

Thank you to rbmcgee... I did find a solution that works for me, but others might be interested in other methods too...

try opening that disc in makeMKV and see if there is one title per episode.

that's always been the case for every TV series DVD i've tried.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hey just wanted to chime in.

I had the exact same problem when I was ripping my DBZ collection.

As posted earlier you can use makeMKV (very easy) and it will see each title (episode) on the disc, saving you HOURS of time

The method I originally used was HandBrake. The nice thing about it is that you can load a disc or a file (I used software to rip the disc, then loaded the VS folder later). The only downside here is that HandBrake will only read the full disc. If you know the EXACT run time of each episode you can select which chapters are included (or if its a straight forward option divide the total chapters by number of episodes per disc).

I can try uploading some screenshots later to help, but for simplicity use makeMKV and ensure you have a good DVD decrypter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts