Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I need to run my speaker"s cables inwall in order to hide them from view. Problem is my home theater is in the living room and all walls closed. I do i run cables thru the walls up to their location which is front wall right corner starting from the back

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
you have a few options:

Hire a professional (that's the best option)

Using a wire "snake" you can try and fish the wire through the walls. This may require making some holes in the wall to get the wire from one end of the room to the back. You'll learn some good drywall patching techniques.

Run the wires under the carpet (using the flat style of wire).

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can also use a decorative molding to hide the wires.

I had very good success with an experienced electrician installing my wires. If he has a good patcher/painter to follow up, you'll never know he was there.

Mojo

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Keep in mind that running wires is really a two person job. One up in the attic with the fish wire and one at the other end of the hole fishing for the end of the fish wire (or visa versa).

I recently ran an HDMI cable for my ceiling mounted projector from the attic through the wall by myself....it was a pain. But, I think what made it possible was the fact that I already had wires run in that area, so there was an existing path and hole.

If you are using two ppl, I'd recommend a walkie talkie/two way radio....it helps to communicate, plus a flashlight at both ends is another helpfull tool.

Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
this is one case where having the right tools makes alot of difference. get a good stud finder to "map" the walls. if you have attic or basement access then you are in good shape. up and down is pretty easy, its the over and under that is tough. an attic or basement makes that part pretty easy. get a good dry wall saw and a good fish tape. all of these tools should cost less than $50 bucks.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I do not know what kind of insulation your home has, so I will just post this link. I also wanted to post it as it has some informative and detailed diagrams. http://www.lsdinc.com/cgi-local/sear...tput_number=10 This site also sells custom wiring training DVD's.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I used a product from wiretracks.com. You remove the baseboard. Cut the drywall away from behind the baseboard and put the wiretracks in.

My family room is on a concrete slab and there is a second story. The way the house is laid out it would have been impossible to go from the attic to the laundry room closet which is where my equipment is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rboster
...I recently ran an HDMI cable for my ceiling mounted projector from the attic through the wall ...
I've been trying to locate sources of HDMI cable that can be run behind the wall. Where did you get it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am asuming your walls are drywall? if so well not to many options do you have carpet you can pull up and run cables under? or do you have skirting board between your wall and floor that you can work under? otherwise maybe some conduit along conrners and other descrete areas (can get it colour matched to make it less conspicuous)

P.S its 4am in the morning and I am trying to get my posts to 5 so I can post a link on these forums, pls excuse my spelling ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.