AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my projector mounted and now I need to run the cabling through the ceiling.

My question is about component cabling and how to run it. My projector has 1 RGB input and I have 3 devices feeding it:

HD box

XBOX

DVD player

How much PQ loss will I get by running it through a basic switch box like something from radio shack?

Do I need to run 3 seperate component cables and get up to the PJ and swap them everytime I want to change to something different? (very annoying)

My receiver only has 1 input and 2 outs for component.

Anything else I can do?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Isn't 1 input and 2 outputs a little odd?

normally 2 ins and 1 out so you can use the receiver to switch.

maybe just put the XBOX on composites and the HD and DVD on the component outs.

If you really only have 1 out you may still want the XBOX on the receiver and get a switcher for the two other signals.

-neurotica

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by neurotica
Isn't 1 input and 2 outputs a little odd?

normally 2 ins and 1 out so you can use the receiver to switch.

maybe just put the XBOX on composites and the HD and DVD on the component outs.

If you really only have 1 out you may still want the XBOX on the receiver and get a switcher for the two other signals.

-neurotica
Oops, you are right, there are 2 in's and 1 out.

I would really like to keep everything component....

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
That's one of the reasons I upgraded my last receiver which didn't have any component switching at all. Previously, I was using the Xbox as the DVD player, but with my new setup I have multiple component devices that feed into a higher end receiver.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i found my cheapo radio shack switchbox that i was using for RCA switching between gaming systems and just plugged the component cables into it. I cant notice a difference in quality so I guess Ill just leave it like that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No help here just someone in the same boat.

I am in the middle of setting up my projector as well and also need to connect X-Box, HD cable and a DVD player.

Good luck! I will check back later

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use this guy it works just fine for me. The thing about the radio shack switches is they only have a 10mhz video bandwith, now I dont know whether thats significant, but thats supposedly not enough for HD. This one has a 100mhz bandwith and it only costs a little more, plus it has two outputs so you can run one component cable to your projector and one to a TV for SDTV veiwing, or whatever.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by i8piglet
I use this guy it works just fine for me. The thing about the radio shack switches is they only have a 10mhz video bandwith, now I dont know whether thats significant, but thats supposedly not enough for HD. This one has a 100mhz bandwith and it only costs a little more, plus it has two outputs so you can run one component cable to your projector and one to a TV for SDTV veiwing, or whatever.
Looks like a very nice unit. I really wonder if it makes that much of a difference though? I need to do a comparison of running through my switchbox and running straight to the pj...

·
Registered
602 Posts
i bought the $15 rat shack switch as well. i didnt notice any degradation of dvd video. unfortunately i cant test HDTV yet since my cable box outputs progressive component and i dont have the x1 adapter yet for that.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well here is what I did. I ran one VGA cable through the wall and ceiling (along with S-vid and composit). At the wall, I have a DVD player with a component to VGA breakout cable and a computer with a VGA cable. I just plug in the one I want to use. Of course it helps that my equipment cabinet is directly behind the sofa, and computer is beside the sofa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
upon reading this thread i went and purchased a radio shack 4-composite-1 switch. however i have a differing opinion:

signal quality did degrade noticable on dvd's. this may be due in part to cable lenght. i run a 12ft cable from the dvd player to the switch. from there i have a 23ft run to the l300u projector. however i have yet to make a full comparison. can anyone tell me if the 35 combined ft of cable travel can make a difference vs 23 ft? or is it indeed the switch?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yes, I would really love to hear from some of the really experienced and in-the-know folks about whether or not the Radio Shack NON-electronic rca switches degrade at all and if they recommend them for inexpensive, but very good quality switchers.

Thanks so much,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan to do some unscientific testing and have friends and my gf sit in front of the projector while i switch back and forth between switchbox and straight through to the dvd player. I wont be telling them which is which and see if they can notice a difference or not...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.