AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are rebuilding their house. They will be puting in hardwood in the living room and asked me to help them with the stereo hook up.

I want to run the cables before they put the hardwood in. What are the simplest ways of doing this? Since the base floor has to be completely level in order to put in hard wood, would i need to create a groove in the plywood or is it possible to run the wire uner the walls?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think putting the wires directly under the hardwood would be a last resort.

We need to know more about the type of construction of your parents house, (slab foundation, post & beam, crawlspace access, attic access, wall framing.....), but the most common places to run wires are;

1. Under the house in a crawlspace

2. Over the rooms in an attic

3. Thru the walls

You could also try putting the wires behind a baseboard, and not under a hardwood floor. Just my thoughts. Reed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a crawlspace access

this will be a 2 story room, so there is no attic.

So i take it i will have to drill a hole in the floor and run the wires through the crawl space. Would there be any advantage to running the wires before the hardwood is in... or if i am going to have to drill a hole anyway, should i just wait untill after its put in?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oraphus - I am not a custom installer, but have done lots of retro fit wiring to houses I have owned.

Should you run wire now or wait? it depends. Are you talking about just speaker wire for a pair of speakers connected to equipment located in the same room? Or are these speakers from a system located in another room?

Will the speakers be in the walls, ceilings or free standing?

If free standing do you want to run wire straight to the speaker or have some type of termination in the wall? Will there be a in-wall volume control in the room? How about control of the system from that room? If so you will want to run data/control wire.

Lots of things to consider depending on your individual situation. But at least you have crawlspace access, which is a big step in the right direction. Reed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.