AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Last night my old Benq w1070 gave a loud firecracker noise and picture loss, no problem shutting it down, but the lamp indicator was red.

No prior lamp warning (it had 2800 hours on the counter, six years old) it just blew.

So I`ve been looking for a replacement lamp (with housing) after reading several threads on the subject. But before spending a lot of money on replacement parts I was wondering if there was a way to see if the projector had taken damage fra the lamp failure?

Anyone got expirience with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hi All

Last night my old Benq w1070 gave a loud firecracker noise and picture loss, no problem shutting it down, but the lamp indicator was red.

No prior lamp warning (it had 2800 hours on the counter, six years old) it just blew.

So I`ve been looking for a replacement lamp (with housing) after reading several threads on the subject. But before spending a lot of money on replacement parts I was wondering if there was a way to see if the projector had taken damage fra the lamp failure?

Thanks
Hi,

you'll have to open the lamp compartment and, while removing the lamp, carefully check for glass shards, glass dust, burning signs around the lamp area on the projector itself. It should be relatively easy to see if any damage went beyond the lamp housing. Anyway, even with some burn marks on the projector itself, it should be working unless there is real evidence of damage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Reading about it in my jvc owner's thread, it seems like it's extremely rare that an exploding bulb actually damages the pj. Just open up the area, clean out debris, vacuum, pop in new bulb/housing and go.

And don't have the BenQ, but I ended up getting a cheap replacement bulb for my JVC on Amazon and have logged about 100+ hours on it without issue. So if you're afraid of dropping coin to only find out your pj is toast, a 3rd party bulb on the cheap can alleviate that. And I believe you should be able to return it if your pj was truly damaged.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reading about it in my jvc owner's thread, it seems like it's extremely rare that an exploding bulb actually damages the pj. Just open up the area, clean out debris, vacuum, pop in new bulb/housing and go.

And don't have the BenQ, but I ended up getting a cheap replacement bulb for my JVC on Amazon and have logged about 100+ hours on it without issue. So if you're afraid of dropping coin to only find out your pj is toast, a 3rd party bulb on the cheap can alleviate that. And I believe you should be able to return it if your pj was truly damaged.

Anti static vacuum maybe?

I also used a cheap replacement bulb in the past on my epson, worked very well and lasted too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anti static vacuum maybe?

I also used a cheap replacement bulb in the past on my epson, worked very well and lasted too.
I don't remember reading about anyone using one specifically. Would wiping down with a wet rag after dissipate any static from vacuuming? I've run a small vac brush around the lamp area when I swapped bulbs before. Always wiped down with a damp rag after. Have never had any issues.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
Hi All

Thanks
Clean up the mess, put a new bulb in, and fire it up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't remember reading about anyone using one specifically. Would wiping down with a wet rag after dissipate any static from vacuuming? I've run a small vac brush around the lamp area when I swapped bulbs before. Always wiped down with a damp rag after. Have never had any issues.

There is always the chace of static build up (and discharge) from a household vacuum. Just think twice before using any old vacuum on electronic equipment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got home and opened the w1070, and the lamp had exploded :-(

Removed the lamp module and now there is a lot of micro glass splinters in the lamp compartment.

My question now is: What is the best way to remove these? -Having read that compressed air is a no-go. And do I have to open the entire PJ and give it a thorough cleaning?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts