AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is most important when selecting a center and rear speakers that will be added to existing front speakers? I am not looking for recommendations on brands/ models but how to determine if something will work.

I am limited in placement of the front, so wonder if a sound bar style would work, considering the center is basically voices and such?

I am also limited in the rear in that the wall is directly behind where we sit, so would a dipole design work?

·
Registered
392 Posts
As for the center the most important consideration when picking one to match existing front speakers is timbre. That is, to pick a center that will 'sonically' mate well with the fronts. I know you didn't want to mention brands but I will as an example. Let's say you've got Paradigm fronts, a center from Polk, Klipsch, etc won't 'play' well. Now lets say those Paradigm fronts are from the Studio Series, then you wouldn't want a center from their Monitor series. You want a center from the same brand, same series as the existing fronts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GTZ, thanks for the insight. My desire to not speak in brands, at least at this point was due to the fact that there is not a center speaker available from the manufacture of my front speakers [Fried, which are a transmission line design].

That being said, how does one match timbre without bring the speaker home?

Also, thoughts on the rears?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd9fy /forum/post/19521576

GTZ, thanks for the insight. My desire to not speak in brands, at least at this point was due to the fact that there is not a center speaker available from the manufacture of my front speakers [Fried, which are a transmission line design].

That being said, how does one match timbre without bring the speaker home?

Also, thoughts on the rears?

can you go with 5 of them? if you have the smaller ones that is... if you have the floor models, I guess the bookshelves can go to the rear..but the center is still ?

·
Registered
19,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd9fy /forum/post/19521576

Are they still in business?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, Fried A3/a speakers as my fronts. And correct, this has been a 'hunt' that was put on hold due to financial issues but I am still interested none the less. As reference these are 'book shelf' style speakers that measure 23h x13w x10d and weigh close to 40lbs each; while Fried is still in business after being sold by 'Bud' Fried, their designs and price points eliminate the practicality of using anything they currently have for either center or surrounds.

The A3/a has a 8" and driver and a 1" tweeter with crossover at 2.8khz, and while reported response is 32Hz-20khz +/- 3db, they will perform down to 22Hz from a sterophile test CD.

All that being said, what are some suggestions on how to end up with a nice sounding set up or what brands would fit well? And I have yet to purchase an AVR so I am open to suggestions that may influence that selection as well. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.