AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a htpc with VMC / Win7 MC running, connected to a AVR and a projector. What is the best and most convenient way to select and play music without turning the beamer on?

When browsing this and other forums, I feel that I thousands of other users got the same problem, but there seem to be no stable solution available on the market.

The options I've tried before:

* 7" touchscreen, in clone modus. Worked in principle, but did not support 1080p, so clone was not possible. To type letters, a keybord was needed. And it was somewhat uncomfortable since I could not use it from my couch.

* PDA and some software. However, connection over WLan was not stable enough, or long connection times

* There is a Philips 7500 rc on the market, but user report problems with it

So, could anybody recommend a nice, comfortable, stable and easy-to-use solution to access my mp3-collection from my couch and play it over my avr? It would be fine it it uses media center, but not necessarily has to.

Thanks and best regards

mariachi76

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I'd say a cheap little netbook, a little pricey for this but could be used for other things, then just remote desktop into the HTPC.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
could an ipod touch work?

im holding out hope that the zunehd has "an app for that"

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/17050981

could an ipod touch work?

im holding out hope that the zunehd has "an app for that"

I was actually thinking iPod touch also... I'm not sure how "fast" it actually works though, via VNC.

Anyone here using VNC/touch with W7?

I planned on using a netbook for remote desktop, but still considering the touch for it's size, portability and convenience.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If you use an ipod touch and have itunes on your HTPC you can use the Remote feature.

Quote:
Remote

With Remote you can control the iTunes music on your computer or Apple TV from your iPod touch or iPhone. Play, pause, skip, shuffle. See your songs, playlists, and album art. Update to iTunes 8, and you can create a Genius playlist or edit an existing playlist. And do it all on your iPod touch or iPhone as if you were right in front of your computer. Available on the App Store, Remote is free and works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/17051072

I was actually thinking iPod touch also... I'm not sure how "fast" it actually works though, via VNC.

Anyone here using VNC/touch with W7?

I planned on using a netbook for remote desktop, but still considering the touch for it's size, portability and convenience.

i use vnc with my laptop, but only to do desktop tasks, it doesnt seem to like the media center interface, as in it shows up as a black window, i have to guess where the upper right minimize buttons are to close it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi76 /forum/post/17049401

Hello,

I've got a htpc with VMC / Win7 MC running, connected to a AVR and a projector. What is the best and most convenient way to select and play music without turning the beamer on?

When browsing this and other forums, I feel that I thousands of other users got the same problem, but there seem to be no stable solution available on the market.

The options I've tried before:

* 7" touchscreen, in clone modus. Worked in principle, but did not support 1080p, so clone was not possible. To type letters, a keybord was needed. And it was somewhat uncomfortable since I could not use it from my couch. most of the time i used vmc and i have a harmony 890 that i control everything with.

* PDA and some software. However, connection over WLan was not stable enough, or long connection times

* There is a Philips 7500 rc on the market, but user report problems with it

So, could anybody recommend a nice, comfortable, stable and easy-to-use solution to access my mp3-collection from my couch and play it over my avr? It would be fine it it uses media center, but not necessarily has to.

Thanks and best regards

mariachi76

all i did was get a cheap 1080p acer monitor and connect to the vga port. it is setup to clone the hdmi port. i mounted it on the wall and the screen saver flips through family photos.

EDIT:

you can use the windows on screen keyboard for typing with a wireless mouse or trackball or a real keyboard (wirelesss or not). also, use a laptop or other pc and remote desktop from home office if there is aggressive long term typing needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+1080p&x=0&y=0

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg /forum/post/17053067

all i did was get a cheap 1080p acer monitor and connect to the vga port. it is setup to clone the hdmi port. i mounted it on the wall and the screen saver flips through family photos.

you can use the windows on screen keyboard for typing with a wireless mouse or trackball or a real keyboard (wirelesss or not). also, use a laptop or other pc from home office is there is aggressive long term typing needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+1080p&x=0&y=0

Then you still need a keyboard mouse lying around.

I still like the netbook idea, its like a sweet little remote. That can be anywhere in the house.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17053199

Then you still need a keyboard mouse lying around.

I still like the netbook idea, its like a sweet little remote. That can be anywhere in the house.

imo netbook is cumbersome compared to a real remote for 99% of actual use.

i would rather use a harmony 890.

i have a wireless trackball (use with vista/win7 onscreen "ease of access" keyboard) and a wireless keyboard that i use occasionally (could easily live without it). IMO there is no better way existing to control an internet browser then the wireless trackball i use. so, i use it for internet and the 890 for everything else.

remote desktop from any pc in the house for any kind of real typing (i would rather do typing from my office pc in the environment that is setup for efficient typing).

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg /forum/post/17053252

imo netbook is cumbersome compared to a real remote for 99% of actual use.

i would rather use a harmony 890.

i have a wireless trackball (use with vista/win7 onscreen "ease of access" keyboard) and a wireless keyboard that i use occasionally (could easily live without it). IMO there is no better way existing to control an internet browser then the wireless trackball i use. so, i use it for internet and the 890 for everything else.

remote desktop from any pc in the house for any kind of real typing (i would rather do typing from my office pc in the environment that is setup for efficient typing).

Thats all fine if he wants a random lcd mintor hanging from the wall, but he wanted to do this with no display. And for a lot of setups a lcd monitor mounted on the wall would look strange.

Also that remote is useless if hes outdside or anywhere away from that monitor. Could he see that little thing while sitting on his couch???

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17053503

Thats all fine if he wants a random lcd mintor hanging from the wall, but he wanted to do this with no display. And for a lot of setups a lcd monitor mounted on the wall would look strange.

Also that remote is useless if hes outdside or anywhere away from that monitor. Could he see that little thing while sitting on his couch???

he said no tv/beamer on not "no display" and he said he abandoned 7" display because of clone problem not because he didn't want a display. there is no clone problem with a 1080p display.

i don't live in his house so i don't know where his couch is or where he might put a small display like mine. mine is 23 inch and i can see it fine from my couch using the vmc interface for picking music. the projection screen is on the far wall but the display is nearby the couch.

you can't see a netbook keyboard in the dark when using a projector (he is using a projector). you can see the onscreen keyboard to use with a trackball. the harmony 890 has backlight on keys and display.

he didn't say anything about control outside. if you have a theater room with a projector, it isn't convenient to have to fire up the projector just to pick a music file. i just turn on the 1080p monitor and everything else works the same as when i use the projector.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17053154

have you seen these usb touchscreen lcds? pretty slick, but expensive.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bfa3/

Wow! That is exactly what I've been looking for. Here is the manufacturer site . They've got a few options. The touchscreen might be nice, but it is pricey at $219. The iMo at $129 looks like it would be ideal when it comes out. Crunchgear has a review and they say "it's not crap," and it is worth the money. I'll have to seriously think about getting one of these.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.