AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I control X10 switches with Eventghost and a USB-UIRT?

What equipment do I need?

So my little project started with wanting to turn my N800 into a universal remote for my media stuff (xbox, tv, receiver, dvd player, projector). That search led me to the USB-UIRT and EventGhost . I enabled the web server and usb-uirt plugins in evenghost, setup my webpages and now have custom touchscreen control thru my N800 of A/V equipment. Here's my watchtv screen:

Now I would like to control some lighting. Example: When I hit pause, have a light come up to 50%, turn bathroom light on. When I hit play, turn both lights back off. I see that Eventghost has an X10 plugin, but I've yet to figure out how to implement it. Their (eventghost's) documentation is horrible for my situation.

So far I've found 2 ways to possibly control X10 from my computer.

The first is their Cm11a Activehome computer interface here .

The other is their IR X10 Command Console here . I would prefer this route since it's only $20. The Insteon version of this is $100.

My main question is how does Eventghost control X10 stuff? Does it do it thru the serial port or IR commands? If is is thru IR commands, where can I get them? Once I have the commands, I can just assign them to my buttons and send them out the USB-UIRT to the Command Console. Yes, I also know that Insteon is better but for now I'd like to get this figured out then I'll evaluate if I need X10 or Insteon.

Please do not recommend Main Lobby or other software packages I would have to purchase. I'm sure they are great and will do exactly what I need but I'm trying to do this on the cheap. If you know of any free things (like Eventghost) then you can recommend those. Yes, I do realize that each switch I want to control is at least $35, but I only have maybe 3 switches I would want to control. If I can't do it with Eventghost and USBUIRT then I have no problem not doing it at all. My house is only 1300sf so I only have to take at most 5 steps to turn off or on any light.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In doing some more reading I read somewhere (maybe it was here) that I can get some IR codes from Harmony's site. I have a 659 so I'll hook it up and see what I can find.

I also went a head and ordered a IR543 and 3 switches from Ebay. If I can dl the IR codes from Harmony to my 659 then I can learn them to my USB-UIRT and I'll be all set.

J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts