Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !!!

I just received my new Stewart Screenwall (96"x54") :D . It's a great product !!! My PJ is a BarcoData 701.

I don' t understand how to setup it on a 16/9 screen. I used Lens Program to position it but now, when i start the set up, all the internal grids are 4/3 and not 16/9 ... How do i have to do ??? :confused:

Let the picture go over the screen border, set up all in 4/3 and then reduce the V size to fit the screen ??? Or first reduce the V size and then set up the PJ with distorted grids ???

Is there any special things to think to when setting up a PJ on a 16/9 screen ???

Thx for your help

Teo

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm OK but do i have to do this at the end of the setup ???

I can't use that pattern for all the setup process !!! (geometry, convergence, focus, raster).

So do i have to all the setup with the internal patterns of the Barco (4/3 format what will go over the screen borders on the wall behind) and then use a pattern like in AVIA to reduce the V Size ???

what pattern do i have to use for all the setup ???

One more point, i've read somewhere on the forum i can't use the internal pattern of the PJ if i use a RGBs connection, is it right ??? What do i have to use instead ???

Thx

Teo:confused:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would use this test pattern for geometry (green) and convergence (red and blue). You can use a focus test pattern for setting the focus.

I would use this test pattern and adjust for this during your geometry setup. If you try to do it last, you may end up needing to re-converge a lot.

I always try and use external (the AVIA DVD) test patterns as much as possible to get more accurate results.

I'm fairly certain that all CRT projectors allow you to use internal test patterns when using the RGB inputs. This is what they are intended for, though again I have found that I get more reliable results using external test patterns.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
DMan, I don't have access to Avia or VE(should I choose one over the other) the local DVD stores no longer carry either disk so I'll have to mail order one....

In the mean time I will be setting up a BG800 for the same size screen as AsM0DeUz, so can I use a THX Optimode DVD to set up my picture?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Optimode is decent, but nowhere near as nice or technical as AVIA. I would pick AVIA over VE as well. AVIA is simply much more user friendly, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thank you for replying Darren, and I will put Avia on order, but in the mean time can I use Optimode?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Is there a difference between letting a video processor (In my case a QuadScan Pro) do the anamorphic sqeeze and using the vertical amplitude setting on a projector? Does the QuadScan throw away the extra resolution present on Anamorphic discs?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Is there a difference between letting a video processor (In my case a QuadScan Pro) do the anamorphic sqeeze and using the vertical amplitude setting on a projector? Does the QuadScan throw away the extra resolution present on Anamorphic discs?
Yes, most definitely. You should be utilizing most of the raster and reducing the height to fit in the 16:9 image area. Plus, be sure that your DVD player's output is set to 16:9.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMan

Yes, most definitely. You should be utilizing most of the raster and reducing the height to fit in the 16:9 image area. Plus, be sure that your DVD player's output is set to 16:9.
So more of the raster gets used by sqeezing the image using the amplitude adjustment on my projector? I would assume this is accomplished because the scan lines are "sqeezed" together? I'm just not sure of what to do with my setup. I'm running a PG9200 with an HTPC (1024X768 72 Hz) as well as a QuadScan Pro (for Laser Discs and DVD's). Will I get a better picture running 1280X720 HTPC resolution and also 16:9 setting on DVD player with 4:3 output on the QuadScan and doing amplitude sqeeze on the projector than just sticking with 1024X768 output resolution on the HTPC and Quad?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
So more of the raster gets used by sqeezing the image using the amplitude adjustment on my projector? I would assume this is accomplished because the scan lines are "sqeezed" together?
Yes, you got it!

Quote:
I'm just not sure of what to do with my setup. I'm running a PG9200 with an HTPC (1024X768 72 Hz) as well as a QuadScan Pro (for Laser Discs and DVD's). Will I get a better picture running 1280X720 HTPC resolution and also 16:9 setting on DVD with 4:3 output on the QuadScan and doing amplitude sqeeze on the projector than just sticking with 1024X768 output resolution on the HTPC and Quad?
I'm running 1280x720 on my PG-6100 and this is about as high a resolution as you would want to use with the PG series of projectors. I think you will be most pleased with the results when you squeeze the image and gain more light output and resolution from Anamorphic DVDs.

Enjoy,

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I will definately give it a try...I'll set up an additional memory for non anamorphic DVD's and Laser Discs and do "squeeze" (not sqeeze, lol! whoops. :D ) for enhanced DVD's. I am really impressed with the picture my projector is already producing on the 1024X768 HTPC combo, so if it gets better with enhanced DVD's what a bonus!

Thanks for the info Darren.

Brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.