AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am newbie and would like to set up basic home theater but I do not have much idea how to do.

Equipment I’d like to purchase:
Projector: BenQ W2000
AV receiver: Dennon avr-x4300h
Notebook as DVD player

Below is illustration of my usage scenario. I hope that I can handily operate notebook on sofa. Does anyone have the idea to best connect these 3 devices in terms of usage friendly and cost effectiveness?

Thanks for your help in advance!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hi all,

I am newbie and would like to set up basic home theater but I do not have much idea how to do.

Equipment I’d like to purchase:
Projector: BenQ W2000
AV receiver: Dennon avr-x4300h
Notebook as DVD player

Below is illustration of my usage scenario. I hope that I can handily operate notebook on sofa. Does anyone have the idea to best connect these 3 devices in terms of usage friendly and cost effectiveness?

Thanks for your help in advance!:)
Do you know what your finished “basic” home theater will be comprised of? Most people would connect the AVR video output to your projector via HDMI, and all video sources, like your notebook, to the AVR for video pass through (or upscaling), HDMI switching, and audio playback.

What are your plans for speakers, subwoofer, etc.?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Using HDMI to connect between devices is your best choice, as it can carry both video and audio on the same cable. 10 meters (around 30 feet) can usually be done with decent quality HDMI cable. Make sure to test it with the highest resolution you plan to use before you put it in the walls. You can use "active" cables, such as Redmere to go longer lengths.

Generally, you would run the signal from your notebook DVD player only to the receiver. The receiver would extract the audio and send the video to the projector. You would not need a cable that goes directly between the notebook and the projector.

You will need to figure out the cable path to run the cables inside the walls. Do some research, including watching YouTube for ideas. They generally show how to run electrical power, but the general principle for low voltage signal cables would be the same. If you have a wood floor and access underneath, you can probably run the notebook to receiver cable under the floor. If you have a concrete floor, and/or no access under the floor, you would need to run it up through the ceiling. This would probably put the length in the range that you would need an active cable.

Another option for your notebook connection is to simply have it coiled up at the receiver when not in use, unroll it and lay it across the floor when you need to use it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Why not put the AVR near the projector & then use a Chromecast on the AVR to send AV to it wirelessly? If the OP is using a notebook this may be a solid option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts