AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a fairly simple question I believe but I am having a bunch of issues trying to make this work. I have a set of Bluetooth headphones. My TV does not have Bluetooth. So I bought one of those Bluetooth transmitters. The transmitter is USB powered and my TV does have a USB slot so I plugged it directly into my TV and it powers up. I then take the red/white RCA cables and plug them into my audio out. I then plug the other end of the RCA cable into by Bluetooth transmitter. I am able to hear the audio transmitting into my headphones. However, the issue I have is that the audio going into my headphones is in "mono" mode and not "stereo" mode. If I take the RCA cable and plug it directly into my headphones, the audio is in "stereo" mode. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or missing a step here? Or is it just that the Bluetooth transmitter is not of a good enough quality to transmit this type of signal into "stereo"? If I just use the transmitter alone on my computer, the audio does come in "stereo". Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Trying to wrap my head around this for days now. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make and model of the TV?
Hi Bobb, it's a Vizio model. It's the d58ud3 model. I tried to post a link to the manual for you if you needed to see the audio ports but it looks like I can't do that yet because I don't have enough posts. But I'll try this way. Thanks.

cdn.vizio.com/documents/d58ud3/um-d58ud3.pdf

·
Registered
20,814 Posts
A BT transmitter that doesn't support/provide "stereo"?

·
Registered
20,814 Posts
Well....
analog audio from source A should work in stereo from source B also. Of course, assuming proper setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How exactly do you know it's coming out in Mono?
I played a youtube video to test the left and right speakers. And the sound was coming into the center of my ears. The same video when my transmitter was hooked into my PC, I could hear the audio in my right ear only or only in my left ear depending on the test being run at the time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
This needs a house call, unfortunately Covid-19 is not letting me. :(

Going by information provided, this seems impossible. The RCA Audio Outputs are DUMB connections. There is no handshaking, or negotiation between the RCA ports, they are either on or off, yeh or nay.

Just for kicks, leave one channel disconnected, see what happens, then swap the cables around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This needs a house call, unfortunately Covid-19 is not letting me. :(

Going by information provided, this seems impossible. The RCA Audio Outputs are DUMB connections. There is no handshaking, or negotiation between the RCA ports, they are either on or off, yeh or nay.

Just for kicks, leave one channel disconnected, see what happens, then swap the cables around.
So if I remove the left cable (white), when doing the right speaker test, I hear the sound from the center. When doing the left speaker test, I hear nothing. And vice-versa, if I remove the right cable (red), I hear nothing from the right speaker test and the left speaker test comes in the center. If I swap the red and white cables, I hear no difference. The sound comes into the center. I plugged the RCA cable into my headphones directly tonight while watching a movie and the sound difference is enormous. That's what I'm looking for since I bought the transmitter to listen to movies through my headphones...really need the audio coming in stereo mode.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
What are the manufacturer and models of the transmitter and headphones?

Chances are if it's in mono over Bluetooth it is using old headset profile rather than a2dp profile (like old Bluetooth headsets that were the rage over a decade ago)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What are the manufacturer and models of the transmitter and headphones?

Chances are if it's in mono over Bluetooth it is using old headset profile rather than a2dp profile (like old Bluetooth headsets that were the rage over a decade ago)
The transmitters are basically the no brand names from Amazon. Costing around $15. The headphones are MPOW. As mentioned, when I plug them directly into my computer using the USB slot, the audio transmission is in stereo. But once I connect a cable to it, like the RCA cable from my TV, the audio transmission becomes mono. Originally, I thought it was the device, so I tried a different one but got the same results. I don't think there's anything wrong with my TV, so I'm still trying to see if there is a BT transmitter out there that will hook up via RCA cables from my TV that can transmit in stereo to my BT headphones. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts