AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Panasonic RP-82 DVD player. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver and the component video output of the DVD player is going into a 720P capable front DLP projector with its own buit-in DCDi chips.

What is the best way to set up this DVD players for the best picture? Please help me with all the settings on DVD including black level, progressive scan or interlaced output, and other user settings. Best Regards,

Haseeb

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Quote:
What is the best way to set up this DVD players for the best picture? Please help me with all the settings on DVD including black level, progressive scan or interlaced output, and other user settings. Best Regards,

Haseeb [/b]
1st... put the player into 16:9 apect ratio mode in the setup.

2nd... leave the black set ot "lighter" as this maintains the proper 7.5 IRE NTSC setup.

3rd... try using the "normal" picture mode setup as this provides "flat" IRE Grayscale and SMPTE test Bar output from my test DVD's. Cinema 2 lowers the upper IRE range from 100 IRE to almost 90 IRE. Even though the manual says the Cinema 2 also adds some additional detail, I have not noticed this. The User mode picture settings is a nice feature if you would like to set it up yourself. Reducing the brightness setting 2 clicks equals the brightness reduction built into Cinema 2. The (3) mpeg noise reduction options are helpful when needed.

4th... try both interlaced component output and progressive output. See which looks best. I am using the interlaced output with my projector because it has excellent DCDi built in.

I love that the RP-82 goes into "setup mode" without havuing to manually stopping a DVD, and the restarts the DVD when setup mode is exited. Very cool, especially when compared to how philips wnats you to remove the DVD entirely.

My only complaint with the player is the remote, and the position of the {>] chapter buttons. They are just below the power button, and I have accidently turned off the RP-82 several times. I am getting better.

The main thing... make sure the DVD is in 16:9 aspect mode in the set up menu.

Enjoy the 82, it's agreat player. Please report your 480i/480p observations.

RJ

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Quote:
The User mode picture settings is a nice feature if you would like to set it up yourself. Reducing the brightness setting 2 clicks equals the brightness reduction built into Cinema 2.
I agree with your other comments and have found the same to be true myself. However, regarding the User mode mentioned above, I believe that mode is only available for the interlaced output, not the progressive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great step by step procedure which I could follow. Worked great. Seems like 480p works better in my setup but I am still checking with few more DVDs. But 480i is very good too. The funny thing is my projector has a Sage DCDi chip set in it but RP-82 seems to do better job.

Yes, User mode is available in the interlaced output only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.