AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm setting up an HTPC to play all my ripped blu rays and DVD's. I've been ripping them as ISO and mounting them but I was wondering if there is a way to do this automatically?

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to store all my ISO's on a server and use some sort of HTPC software to select and play the movie easily. I'd also like it to be a visual interface that's easy enough for the gf to use.

Hopefully it can allow me to keep a full library with cover art and descriptions etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
First thing is first. What will you be streaming this to? By that I mean, what will be playing the movie (Gaming console, popcorn hour, apple TV, or some other frontend)? That will make a huge difference. BTW, streaming uncomprssed blurays is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would suggest using XBMC (I use it for the exact thing you want to do, it can be a little daunting at first, but it has a great interface and has many different skins you can use), and a little program that I wrote that can automatically mount and launch a blu-ray player (since XBMC doesn't support playing back Blu-ray iso's natively. Here is a link to a post on the XBMC forum about my app.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 /forum/post/18125034

First thing is first. What will you be streaming this to? By that I mean, what will be playing the movie (Gaming console, popcorn hour, apple TV, or some other frontend)? That will make a huge difference. BTW, streaming uncomprssed blurays is going to be a problem.

I stream uncompressed Blu-rays daily without any problems with MyMovies and TMT3. What problems do you have?

zakirll,

Your best bet is streaming with a wired network. Take a look at MyMovies , there are a few others that will be recommended also but this is what I use.

I play from folders but others use it with ISO's.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 /forum/post/18125034

I stream uncompressed Blu-Rays from my unRAID server and playback is absolutely stellar. It's only going to be a problem if you don't have your system set up correctly.

I never worried about setting up cover art and such as I tend to delete movies from my server once I've watched them. Most movies don't bear watching more than once and I have more than enough movies stockpiled and not enough time to watch them anyway (damn that NetFlix!
).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is the most confusing thing I've ever tried to do on my pc! I'm not sure why I can't get it to work properly, but for some reason I can't get the iso files to mount properly. Using mymovies I get insert disc, and using the suggested autoloader is not working at all.

I'm tempted to just load them all manually, but then there's no way my friends/girlfriend will ever figure it out!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre 3 Platinum for playback with My Movies 3 for organizing .ISO's and Slysoft's AnyDVD HD and Virtual Clone drive and it works like a charm. I don't remember setting anything up in MyMovies to get it to work but if you are having troubles you could try search their forums. This is also how I stream all my movies across my network.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure why, but nothing about this is working. I have AnyDVD HD installed which I use to rip the ISO images. I have virtual clone drive which I use to mount images (manually for the time being). I have MyMovies to keep things organized. And I just got TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum.

I can see my library when I open WMC in the MyMovies section, but if I select any of them is says to insert disc. Honestly it's kind of frustrating because I've tried so many different things already and it's not working at all.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirll /forum/post/18128446

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but nothing about this is working. I have AnyDVD HD installed which I use to rip the ISO images. I have virtual clone drive which I use to mount images (manually for the time being). I have MyMovies to keep things organized. And I just got TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum.

I can see my library when I open WMC in the MyMovies section, but if I select any of them is says to insert disc. Honestly it's kind of frustrating because I've tried so many different things already and it's not working at all.

It sounds like a configuration problem in Collection Manager. In tools, options, external players, you have to set it to play Blu-ray ISO's with TMT3 instead of Windows Media Center as default. How are your movies associated in the Collection Manager?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would use Media Browser, it is way more user friendly than My Movies. Plus it is completely free at the current moment. Interfaces great into WMC and just works. Use Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive for mounting purposes. I use PDVD to play the files and it launches automatically from the Media Browser interface and minimizes WMC. That is what I would recommend and also use a wired setup, you will never get wireless to work with uncompressed HD content.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirll /forum/post/18127992

Wow, this is the most confusing thing I've ever tried to do on my pc! I'm not sure why I can't get it to work properly, but for some reason I can't get the iso files to mount properly. Using mymovies I get insert disc, and using the suggested autoloader is not working at all.

I'm tempted to just load them all manually, but then there's no way my friends/girlfriend will ever figure it out!

I've never used MyMovies so I may be way off base here, but it sounds like you may not have designated the virtual drive as the default drive, if that's even an option. I can only guess that MyMovies is looking for a disc in your physical DVD-Rom drive instead of the virtual drive with the mounted iso. Every other playback app I've used has you specify a default drive, which is what's leading me to this conclusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.