AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to setup the modulator with a Dish 5000 receiver and a JVC 3000 D-VHS VCR.

I am confused about how to make the modulator work. Whenever I want to watch a HDTV program I get a message instructing me to switch to DTV setup, but I don't really understand how. To start with, I need a "3-digit code found in the user's manual" but in the user's manual there are only two codes (one for a Misthubishi HDTV and another for a Philips HDTV). Besides, Since I am using a D-VHS I guess I'll need to use the code corresponding to JVC (rather than my Panasonic Plasma TV).

Do you have any idea about how to put the modulator to work?

Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hooked the modulator to the JVC Recorder and the VCR to the Plasma TV. I guess I am missing the DTV tuner.

I have a HiPix DTV Tuner card in my PC. Maybe I should put the card in between the modulator and the VCR????

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You are missing one piece, the DTV tuner with firewire. I think you could use the Hipix if you have a firewire port, Windows XP, and a program called DVHSTool on your computer. Otherwise you need to buy a firewire STB like the Samsung 165.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just ordered the Samsung 165 from OneCall. In the meantime I was able to make the modulator work through the HiPix card. The problem is that I can´t make dishnetwork and the OTA channels work together through the HiPix. It seems to be a question of either one or the other. I tried to feed the card with both signals with a splitter, but the HiPix only recognized from channel 8 on (not channel 3 or 4, which are the ones compatible with the modulator)

Any suggestion?

In any case I am planning to replace the HiPix card with the Samsung. Standalone units seem to be more reliable and less problematic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
navarros,

You may need to buy a UHF/VHF splitter to separate the UHF signals from your over-the-air antenna feed. Then combine the feed from the Dish modulator (channel 3/4) with the UHF output (channels 13+) from the over-the-air antenna using a 1+Ghz splitter in reverse. You can purchase these items from Radioshack for a few bucks. This will enable you to record all the digital channels, although you will miss out on the analog channels

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Many people are confused by this.

The modulator only ouputs sat chans (on 3 or 4)... The OTA chans are just passed through... So with the HiPix you would need to go into the config menus and manually add chan 3/4 to any other chans you scanned from OTA. Then when you want to watch OTA (passed through the modulator) you need to tune the 5000 to a "dummy" low numbered chan (like 01) so that the modulator passes through the OTA feed. Then you need to tune the HiPix to the actual OTA chan.... The 5000 modulator will not convert an OTA chan to 3/4.... Just the high numbered sat chans.

Also the modulator only outputs HD sat chans. If the 5000 is tuned to an SD chan it generally will not ouput a signal on the modulator. Some SD chans with DD5.1 audio will output a signal but it may not be formatted properly as the modulator doesn't cope well with 4x3 material.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
You are missing one piece, the DTV tuner with firewire. I think you could use the Hipix if you have a firewire port, Windows XP, and a program called DVHSTool on your computer. Otherwise you need to buy a firewire STB like the Samsung 165.
I just got the Samsung 165. The problem now is how to make it work with the Dish 5000 modulator. I went to the 5000 HDTV setup and selected channel 3. Then I added manually channel 3 to OTA channels in the samsung, but it doesn't seem to recognize the signla.

The Samsung 165 works great with the OTA channels so far, but I can't set it up to work with the modulator.

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Many people are confused by this.

The modulator only ouputs sat chans (on 3 or 4)... The OTA chans are just passed through... So with the HiPix you would need to go into the config menus and manually add chan 3/4 to any other chans you scanned from OTA. Then when you want to watch OTA (passed through the modulator) you need to tune the 5000 to a "dummy" low numbered chan (like 01) so that the modulator passes through the OTA feed. Then you need to tune the HiPix to the actual OTA chan.... The 5000 modulator will not convert an OTA chan to 3/4.... Just the high numbered sat chans.

Also the modulator only outputs HD sat chans. If the 5000 is tuned to an SD chan it generally will not ouput a signal on the modulator. Some SD chans with DD5.1 audio will output a signal but it may not be formatted properly as the modulator doesn't cope well with 4x3 material.

Hope this helps.
PVR,

Will the same setup work with the Samsung top box? I just got rid of the HiPix card, but I have the same problem with the top box.

Thanks,

Santiago

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I don't have a Samsung, but I think the basic principle is the same.

Your Dish 5000 box would have one sat input feed.

The modulator ~could~ have an OTA antenna input, and then an output to the input on the Samsung.

If the 5000 box was tuned to a dummy low numbered channel (less than 100) then the modulator would pass through the OTA and you could tune the samsung to any OTA chan like normal.

If the 5000 box was tuned to a sat chan, then the modulator switches to 8VSB output mode, and then you can only tune the samsung to chan 3/4 (depending on the chan you picked for the modulator). Any sat chans (even SD ones that don't come out on the modulator) will put the modulator in "broadcast" mode instead of passthrough mode.

Once the Samsung has locked onto a chan (either OTA, or chan3/4 from the modulator) it should be spitting out IEEE1394 data that can be recorded.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kevin,

I sold the card through ebay for $299.

I was finally able to solve the problem of compatibility between the Samsung set top box and the dish 5000 modulator.

Thank you all for your advise!

Santiago

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.