AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a DC-2 and want to run Logic 7. I have for the rears 4 ss150-thx tripole M&k speakers. I would imagine that I would run them in dipole, but for placement I'm not sure. I have 2 rows and the back row is against the back wall and I have one set placed in the middle of the rows and was thinking of placing the other pair on the back wall at either end of the back row. What do ya think. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Read the Lexicon Theory of Operation Manual. If your hardcopy is missing, you can download it in .pdf format off the web site.

As far as placement: having the side speakers directly beside your listening position is your best choice; a bit forward of that is probably second (in both cases the space along the side wall between the fronts and sides gets filled in), and behind you doesn't really work much better than having one pair of surrounds so I have my sides next to my front row.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
For rear speaker placement, Lexicon recommends placement on the rear walls at 150 degrees, as measured from the front center of your room.

I suggest you run your rears in Tripole mode, and also switch the rear speakers labeled "Left" and "Right", to insure that their outward-firing dipole arrays are in phase with the sides.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
29,525 Posts
Instead of dipoles, I'd run all 4 surrounds as tripoles for a little better localization; you'll still good mix of direct & reflected sound. As always, experimentation will be key to getting the best sound in your particular room and situation, but here's what I would do:

Keep the rear speakers on the back wall, but maybe not spread out all the way to the corners. Spreading them wide will give you more of a sense of ambience; bringing them a little closer together will give you better back wall localization. Since the side speakers will give plenty of ambience, I'd use the rears for better back wall sound placement.

As for the sides: try to separate them from the rears as much as possible. It's kinda pointless to use 4 surrounds if the sides are going to be very close to the rears. With that in mind, I'd move the sides up so they're along your front row of seats. Unfortunately, this will compromise the experience from the back row a little bit, but I don't think it can be avoided. However, for those seated in the front row, it should sound great!

My two cents.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani
Instead of dipoles, I'd run all 4 surrounds as tripoles for a little better localization; you'll still good mix of direct & reflected sound.
Sanjay,

Even in Tripole mode the dipole arrays at the sides of the SS-150s are still operating with dipole phasing. Therefore, the caution regarding switching the Left and Right rear speakers still applies regardless of whether the sides and rears are tripole or dipole.

Also, I missed the part about his last row being up against the rear wall. In that case, it might actually be preferable to run the rears as dipoles, to get more rear spatial envlopment and less direct energy. Unfortunately, the SS-150s have to be physically reconfigured with jumpers, so you have to keep taking them down to change them, but at least they're light.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
29,525 Posts
Philip.

Personally, I'd still prefer tripoles all around; but that's my personal choice. Between the both of us I think we've given rdefino enough to chew on; maybe even enough to confuse him. Doh!

;-)

Sanj

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say a little of both. Thanks for the replies. The only thing I'm a little confused on is the phasing part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.