AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a pair of m-audio AV40 that hooked up in a single cable line to my sound card x-fi extreme fidelity. Today I got the Polk PSW10 subwoofer but I have no idea how to set it up to my current system. I searched google for hours and couldn't find any help, there are some advice talking about crossover, which I didn't understand at all.

Would any folk with audio knowledge show me how to hook it up? Is my sound card good enough and wat cable do I need to buy, I'd appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Your system is not really designed for direct connection to a sub. You need to have a cable that does mini jack to RCA connected to line out 3 on the X-Fi. The problem is this connection also carries the center channel for a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 system. You need to be able to connect to the sub segment on the mini jack. It would be best to contact Creative and ask them. The manual shows they have several different cables that are optional.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam207 /forum/post/19576548

Thanks, someone told me that I need sound card with the digital or analog out in order to use the PSW10, is this true? I might need to change the sound card then.

You have the digital output on this sound card. It puts all the channels (based on the settings of 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1) out on a single line. This needs to be connected to a decoding device like a multichannel receiver to send each channel to either an amp stage or another output stage. The Line 1, 2, and 3 outputs on the sound card are also multichannel, but they have been decoded by the sound card. The sockets have multiple pick up points so you have to use a minijack connector that connects to each channel. If you look in the manual in the connecting speakers section, you can see that the number of segments on the minijack pins is different based on the number of channels you have selected. Line 3 has the center channel and the sub channel. You have to have an adapter that will convert the minijack to RCA, but it has to make contact with the correct segments on the pin so you pick up the sub channel and not the center channel. So what you have is a complex cable issue. This is where Creative Labs will be the most help for you.

When you look at the minijack pin, you will see two or more segments. If it is 2, then it has a single channel (+ and -). If it has 3, then it is two channel with one for left, one for right, and one common. If there are more, then it carries more channels. The problem you have is making sure you connect to the right segments.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have this same set up(minus the soundcard, using realtek onboard)

I have the M Audio a40's going with a RCA to 3.5mm cable to "left/right speakers" output on mobo slot

and RCA to 3.5mm going from PSW sub to "center/sub" output on mobo

I just had to toggle the "switch center/sub" control in the realtek onboard audio control panel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19576688

You have the digital output on this sound card. It puts all the channels (based on the settings of 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1) out on a single line. This needs to be connected to a decoding device like a multichannel receiver to send each channel to either an amp stage or another output stage. The Line 1, 2, and 3 outputs on the sound card are also multichannel, but they have been decoded by the sound card. The sockets have multiple pick up points so you have to use a minijack connector that connects to each channel. If you look in the manual in the connecting speakers section, you can see that the number of segments on the minijack pins is different based on the number of channels you have selected. Line 3 has the center channel and the sub channel. You have to have an adapter that will convert the minijack to RCA, but it has to make contact with the correct segments on the pin so you pick up the sub channel and not the center channel. So what you have is a complex cable issue. This is where Creative Labs will be the most help for you.

When you look at the minijack pin, you will see two or more segments. If it is 2, then it has a single channel (+ and -). If it has 3, then it is two channel with one for left, one for right, and one common. If there are more, then it carries more channels. The problem you have is making sure you connect to the right segments.

Wow, I didn't know this is that much complicated. I'm reading and researching your post so thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

Sometimes, I wish my expensive sound card is as normal as the Realtek one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts