AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm starting to wonder if I would have been better off with a compact system in this room. It's not that big, 15 X 14, and I really will kinda have to have the couch and such against the wall, or very close to that. What I picked up from recommendations on the speaker forum is the full set of Andrew Jones budget Pioneers, plus the Energy 10.3 sub. I got a pair of FS-51s, a pair of BS-21s for surrounds, and the CS-21 center channel. Would I be better off with a mini system like the Mirage Nanosats perhaps? Or will I be able to get something decent in this room? The primary usage is TV and Movies, followed by some gaming, and occasionally music. There is a very good deal available on the Mirage system right now, and then I can unload the Pioneers on Craigslist or Ebay or something. (I don't want to imagine the cost to ship them back to Newegg!) The receiver I will be using is the Pioneer VSX-72TXV, and I'll be wall mounting my Sony 40HX800 on the wall you cannot see in the picture. Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought I would add that this is actually my first surround setup, previously I've used the TV speakers and then a Vizio soundbar.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't see any issues with your plan to use the Pioneer speakers. Visually, they will be more dominating than the Mirage but the extended low frequency response of the Pioneer speakers will help to make the subwoofer transition more smooth.

Couch placement for you is a bit of a problem for a number of reasons. the ideal seating distance for your 40" tv ranges from 48" to 100" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance ) so by sitting against the back wall you will be a little farther from the tv set than you might like.

Additionally, by sitting against the back wall your surrounds are not really going to surround you. Ideally, they go to the sides of your listening position but rely on some space behind you for reflections and such. Even if they go behind you (another option) they should be behind you and not just overhead.

I also have in my head that sitting against the back wall will elevate bass level but it will tend to get boomy. I might be wrong there so don't put too much stock in that argument.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it help then if the couch and seating were set up a little bit off the back wall? For surround placement, should they be on the side walls or on the back wall?

·
Registered
156 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts