AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my parents buy a new TV, and we have concluded that a DLP is the right technology for their room and viewing habits. They will be sitting 8-10 ft away and are looking for something in the 50"-55" range.

They will be using a DIRECTV HDDVR as an input source, with very occasional DVD usage.

What are the things I should be looking for? I think I've found out on these boards that the HD2+ chip is the one they should be looking for, but what about contrast ratios? Do they matter? How about screen resolution? Native formats? Will they get bang for their buck with 1080p? What about single chips vs multi chips (and the dreaded rainbow effect)? I'm guessing that given their eyesight these days, rainbows won't be a problem.

One thing they do need is closed captioning (they don't hear that well anymore, so besides being able to rewind using the DVR, they will sometimes need the closed captions). Anyone know if some DLPs have easier to use CC features than others?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjohnny
I'm helping my parents buy a new TV, and we have concluded that a DLP is the right technology for their room and viewing habits. They will be sitting 8-10 ft away and are looking for something in the 50"-55" range.

They will be using a DIRECTV HDDVR as an input source, with very occasional DVD usage.

What are the things I should be looking for? I think I've found out on these boards that the HD2+ chip is the one they should be looking for, but what about contrast ratios? Do they matter? How about screen resolution? Native formats? Will they get bang for their buck with 1080p? What about single chips vs multi chips (and the dreaded rainbow effect)? I'm guessing that given their eyesight these days, rainbows won't be a problem.

One thing they do need is closed captioning (they don't hear that well anymore, so besides being able to rewind using the DVR, they will sometimes need the closed captions). Anyone know if some DLPs have easier to use CC features than others?

Thanks for any advice.
What is your/their budget?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They haven't really set one, but I'm think they are looking for something from 2000-3000. They are really about value though. If there is a feature on a more expensive unit that they would like, they would spend the money. But if there is a lower end unit with just as good PQ in their eyes, they would probably go for the cheaper one. The tough part for me is knowing what they see vs what I see, given that their eyesight isn't that great anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get a DLP with the HD2+ chip, make sure it has the 2500:1 contrast ratio.

Also i would recommend shopping for a DLP with the 7 segment or 8 segment color wheel, those color wheels spin much faster and should help with not seeing rainbows.

Currently i dont think there are any Samsung Tabletop DLP's with those specs, so i would recommend the Pedstal Samsung, Toshiba 52hm94, or the Panasonic DLP with the 8 segment color wheel.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
All the sets Kirt listed should be in close-out sales right now.

In the screen size that your parents want 1080p will not make a big difference. If they don't mind the speakers on the sides of the screen I would check out the Panasonic.

It's possible that your parents will not be able to see the extra sharpness that the above sets get from the HD2+ chip.

I have a HLP5063 Samsung DLP that's been calibrated by SethS (forum name) and it's outstanding. It has the softer HD3 chip (seven element color wheel), and no tuner. That makes it cheaper. :)

If your parents are DirecTV subscribers the tuner is of no use to them. The HDTV tuners only work with cable and over the air signals.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.