AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my HTPC to shut down automatically after like 2h of inactivity.

I have set windows power management but nothing happens. When I set the screen to go into powersave mode, it went black after 20 minutes even though Winamp way playing along.

Obviously inactivity isn't always the same thing. While Windows XP seems to think inactivity means that there is no user input, I only want Windows to shut down if there is no user activity AND Winamp is not playing.

How would I do that?

:(

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't have an easy solution but I have done some research for you. Have you tried reviewing the options in your BIOS? All the technotes from MS make frequent reference to the Windows' dependence on the motherboard BIOS. For instance, you may have a timeout value set in the BIOS that is causing Windows to trigger a shutdown even though Windows knows the PC is still in-use.

Also check out this troubleshooting doc:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;266169

It mostly talks about problems with Suspend locking-up but it also includes detail about what triggers it (which is your question, right?).

Another suggestion, but an uuuggly one -- Re-install Windows without ACPI support. You might be able to make this change on-the-fly by editing the "Computer" properties in Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Mgmt/Device Mgr. You'd also need to disabled ACPI in your BIOS. The idea being that the older APM power-mgmt might work the way you want. Or, if you're currently configured for APM, then do the opposite and try using ACPI (if your computer supports it).

Finally, the problem might be with Winamp, i.e., it may be failing to "register" it's activity somehow with the OS. You might try asking them about it. (This would also imply that you'll need to contact the vendors of any other programs that suffer the same problem.)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
sapnho,

If you can shut down or hibernate your PC from the 'Start' (!) menu, you could also try to solve your problems with Girder.

When playing Winamp, you could have girder move the mouse back and forth by one pixel to keep your PC away (this could happen each time Winamp generates a DVDSpy event...)

As to shutting down the PC, and assuming your screen saver works as it should, you could have Girder shut down the PC each time the screen saver has been on for a set time (2 hours?)

Good luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I'll give both solutions a try. Thank you!

However, does nobody have an automatic shutdown function installed on his HTPC? Any Swedes on this forum? They are normally quite conscious of energy saving...;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
All I do is have the hard-drives go to sleep after 2 hours. I suppose I could also set the screen-saver go blank ... if it would cause the system to power-off the video card? The trick would be monitoring the amperage to prove you were saving electricity!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.