AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: This is just a theoretical question. I just split up an hypothetical $1,500 for $500 sub, $1,000 for remaining 5.0 speakers.

How would you split up your speaker budget?. Say you had a sum, say for this example, you have $1,500 to spend on a 5.1 speaker system. And lets say the subwoofer question is out of scope for this question. (It's another forum anyway.) So, for the sake of argument, lets say you decide that $500 is for the sub, thus leaving you $1,000 for the remaining 5 speakers.

1. Should you match the five speakers, thus spending $200 on each?

or

2. Should you concentrate on the center channel, since that where most of the information is coming from, then second concentration on the two fronts with second most information, then third importance on the rear surrounds. So, lets say in this example, spend $300 center, $500 front ($250 ea), $200 rear ($100 ea).

How would you spend the $1,000 among the front, center, and rear speakers?

·
Banned
724 Posts
for that kinda budget,i rather get a home theater in box.

Second you don't mismatch speakers,you want the same brand across the front stage for tonal balance.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I think your budget proportions are about right, although I might allocate a bit more to the sub, as the truly serious subs pretty much start at around 600 shipped. Ideally you would want all speakers to be identical in a five channel sytem, but we don't live in an ideal world, and most people on a budget will get better results by giving more weight to the front stage. Terrific speakers in the price range can be had from Ascend Acoustics, Hsu Research, and the Infinity Primus line. I would be looking at subs from Hsu, Outlaw Audio, and Elemental Designs.

oh, and you definitely do not need to resort to buying a home theater in a box!

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
If you have $1500 to spend for 5 speakers and a sub, a HTIB is out of the question.

You can easily get a nice system for that much money. I would spend $300-$600 on a subwoofer depending on room size and the rest on speakers. The front 3 speakers are the most important. The 2 surrounds are much less important. You don't have to dedicate a set amount for each speaker but emphasize your budget on the front three.

You can get some great package deals from internet direct vendors like SVS, HSU, HTD, Aperion, Axiom and Ascend Acoustics.

And then there are regular mfrs like PSB, Energy, Klipsch, Mirage, Boston, Def Tech, Polk and others that have outgoing or discontinued models which are heavily discounted.

Before you start spending ask yourself these questions.

1. What's your budget? We already know this one.

2. How big is the room? Dimensions.

3. Do you want floorstanding or bookshelf speakers?

4. What's the percentage of music vs movies usage?

5. Is there a wife/spousal acceptance factor you have to deal with?

Your subwoofer doesn't need to be the same brand as your speakers. There are dedicated subwoofer mfrs that'll give you more bang for your buck.

The most important thing is to go out and listen to as many speakers as you can. Determine what type of sound you like. You cannot tell how a speaker sounds just by looking at the specs. Sometimes you cant find many of the speakers that interest you which makes things difficult. Several of the Internet Direct vendors have 30 day risk free trials. You get to test them in your own home and return them if you don't like them. In home trials are the best way to go since you'll be testing them in the actual final environment vs a store showroom.

You're off to a very good start by posting a question on this forum.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edited post: This is just a theoretical question. I just split up an hypothetical $1,500 for $500 sub, $1,000 for remaining 5.0 speakers.

Would you split up sum evenly, spending the sum 20% on each?

or

Would you split it unevenly, concentrating on the Center, then Fronts, then Surrounds?

(my suggestions were 30% Center, 50% Fronts, 20% Rears.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS, I will post my system and room size in my Profile.

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19518724

if you have $1500 to spend for 5 speakers and a sub, a htib is out of the question.

You can easily get a nice system for that much money. I would spend $300-$600 on a subwoofer depending on room size and the rest on speakers. The front 3 speakers are the most important. The 2 surrounds are much less important. You don't have to dedicate a set amount for each speaker but emphasize your budget on the front three.

You can get some great package deals from internet direct vendors like svs, hsu, htd, aperion, axiom and ascend acoustics.

+1

And the Boston Acoustics online store, has some good refurbish products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts