AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked thru the forums but didnt find a solution.

My whole house was pre-wired for ethernet/cable/audio.

I have a PC upstairs and want to stream HD video over ethernet to my HDTV downstairs.

I would like to keep it under $500 if possible. If someone has already has posted this please point me to the post!

TIA!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am able to do it with window media player 10 and my xbox360. You need a media extender capable of outputing HD. There are other extenders other than an XBOX.

Tripp

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Probably the easiest method is with a hardware device like a Slingbox (google).

This is assuming you want to encode a video source in realtime, like analog or digital cable, satellite, etc, and stream it in realtime over ethernet to other machines.

If you simply want to play files from another machine in the house, just share the drives on the machine(s) with files (MP3's, .avi, .mpg, etc), navigate to the machine/ drive/ directory/ files you want via Network Neighborhod in Explorer, and play with the appropriate media player and codecs. No need for streaming media software or hardware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure why nobody has mentioned VLC. It has a great deal of streaming options (both client and server) and is a heck of a media player in its own right.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangott
Not sure why nobody has mentioned VLC. It has a great deal of streaming options (both client and server) and is a heck of a media player in its own right.
What is a VLC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
google "vlc"

I can't post links.

it's a media player application that can run on many Operating systems. I use it to stream video from my HDTV cable box (captured through firewire) over ethernet to PCs elsewhere in the house. It allows unicast and multicast streaming over a variety of protocols.

Really, it can do so much it would be hard to list. Just start reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW, this solution would obviously require another PC at the destination. You should be able to put something together for less than $500 that will handle the task quite nicely.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think the whole point of this thread is to avoid another pc. I had a HTPC in my living room and had too many problems with it trying to make it run perfectly. So I took my capture card out of it and put it in my desktop. Now I'm just going to get a extender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.