Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, :rolleyes:

Now, I'm not sure if this is at all possible. I've bought my projector from Curt Palme and also a 1000VA transformer, and it works great. But today I surfed past crtcinema.com and checked the NEC specs, and there it says that the XG series (all NEC series actually) are switchable between 110 and 230V operation by changing fuse.

Anyone know anything about this, and perhaps know where one could find information about such a fuse change? There is nothing about this in the manuals of the XG. Then again, there are alot of things that are left out in those manuals, pretty much everything "under the hood" except schiempflug and mechanical focus/alignment. :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was looking into this and according to the service manual of the PS there

are differences between a 110 V and 230 V unit. There are some FETs and ohter parts different. The 110 V unit operates at 230 V without doing anything but I would assume that it will not do this for a long time.

I would also be interested to know if anybody runs his 110V XG 135 with 230 V for a long time without having problems.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jonas,

Just changing a fuse will definitely NOT make your XG 135 operable on 230 V.

In a worst case scenario it will fry your XG 135. The transformation has to be changed somehow to get the same internal voltages with 230V input as with 110V. If it can be switched, there should be a designated switch for this somwhere in the innards of the pj, my guess is close to the AC input socket.

Curt wold be the best person to kmow if the XG has switchable voltages, in your place I would email him and ask.

May I ask how much you had to pay in moms and duty when importing the pj from a non-EU country ??

Thomas

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have investigated changing an XG from 110 to 240v operation and have been advised that the operation is more difficult and risky than it is worth. I know of several XG's here in australia running on stepdown transformers without any real problems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, and thanks for your replies.

I got a reply from Eric Lang at crtcinema.com this morning, and this is what he told me:

Quote:
Jonas,

We've been sending NEC's to Asia and Europe for years and never had a problem just plugging them in. The Sony's also use a auto switching transformer like the NEC's. For true safety on the NEC's there are a couple of other small modifications you should do to the power supply. Our tech have been doing it lately. I'm just not familiar with the procedure
I've asked if he can have his "techie" explain what needs to be done for "true safety".

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I believe that I was told that NEC's specifically have different power supplies that are put into 220V sets. I think Doug Baisey told me that. I've never tried putting 220V into a PG or XG, and since I have no spare supplies that I can blow up, I'm not going to try it..:)

Curt

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might be right :) Anyways, the transformer Curt sold me was excellent so I'm not really in any need of doing this. Might be something for the future!

PS. The transformer wasn't only good, silent, doesn't run hot, it's also pretty (for being a transformer) and doesn't really have to be hidden. Cheers Curt ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
there is plenty of wrong advice here in this thread, the 9pg supplies are different to the XG135LC so are the XG75 supplies. They (XG75)can be modded to 230v operation, they use a kind of voltage doubling design on the 110v Units. A qualified tech may do this, you will have to remove some caps and change some board wiring on the rectifier bridge. I have performed this succesfully. For the XG135LC power supply it is enough to have a look at the service manual so you can easily see the differences between the 2 different voltage versions.

One thing I hardly understand how people can give advice on such a sensitive subject if they obviously have no clue of what they are talking about. The guy who fries his projector will probably love that.

As Eric said, the 110V XG135LC are working with 230V but I would not really recomment it, as there are several parts in the PS different in voltage rating and power rating.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spatz: Thanks for your reply! Like you say, it's a sensitive matter which shouldn't be taken lightly unless you have 100% accurate information.

You wouldn't have any reading material that would explain what need to be done?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Spatz,

could you please elaborate as to if "they" include the NEC PG series, or did you use "they" for just XG75? If "they" include the PG series, is that a NEC series you have successfully moded from 110v to 230v, and would be able to do again?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I decided myself that the amount of changes is not worth is, so I sell transformers with these 110V units. Get a XG135 service manual you can see easily what to change.

I do not have so much knowledge about the 9pg series power supplies

so somebody else will have to answer this.

I have another XG135LC with a dead HV board and as I have no like 6 defective boards that all failed before the unit reached 100h I would strongly assume that is a very common series defect. Anyone else can report the same ?

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I have Guy Kuo's XG 135LC here with a nuked HV board and he had two fail within 6 months. I have yet to dive into it, but will let you know when I do and what I find.

Other than smashed tubes and bad STK chips, those are the only problems I've had with XG's so far...

Curt

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
HV PWB's, the bane of the XG's. The trick is finding which transistor failed and try to relate that back to why it failed. I had one one time that was taking out HV PWS's faster than I could put them in. Finally tracked the problem to a transit in the HV section that was getting in through the protect circuit. I would take a serious look at the flyback transformer area.

Spatz like you this problem would show up after hrs. And I could not seem to repeat it reliably. But I was able to track it back to the flyback which goes to one of the protect circuits on the HV PWB.

I have not seen this as a common problem, but when it happens it can be a pain to trace down.

Terry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.