AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have a Loewe Aconda 32" CRT which has both Component and VGA input. Through component input I have no problem at all playing from a bluray player or set top box or Wii or anything else that I have. In fact the Bluray quality with 1080i is incredible, much better than anything 1080i you would get on Xfinity/Comcast or Netflix.

I've been meaning to use some new set top boxes and bought one of these scaler boxes for a Roku I got: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRSP-Component-Supporting-Windows-10/dp/B00JVNUAEI

It syncs up perfectly to 1080i when it is connected but turned off - in which case I get the typical rainbow bars you get when waiting for a broadcast to air. As soon as I turn it on, it goes all funky and starts to loose sync.

I get the same issue when I connect my laptop through the same box, or when I connect my laptop through VGA output into the port on the back of the TV. Through VGA I can get it to work at 640x480p resolution but not 1080i or 720p for some reason. Through the component to hdmi scaler it doesn't sync at all.

Since I know it syncs when the Roku is not powered on and shows up perfectly in 1080i, and since 1080i syncs perfectly with bluray players directly from component. There has to be a way to get this fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Anyone able to help with this? Maybe they had a similar issue they were able to solve.
I had an old video card that had a component breakout cable for it. I'm not sure if you could find drivers for that, probably in the XP timeframe. I had it connected to a pre-hdmi tv.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an old video card that had a component breakout cable for it. I'm not sure if you could find drivers for that, probably in the XP timeframe. I had it connected to a pre-hdmi tv.
I'm more concerned about the chromecast and other devices not working with the scaler box. Many people have stated that it worked on their HDTV's that only had component input - so not sure why it doesn't: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRSP-Component-Supporting-Windows-10/dp/B00JVNUAEI

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably hdcp. Protected content will not play in HD.
HDCP usually gives an error or black screen. This is literally anything I play off a laptop or Roku or any HDMI device will show up as horrible lines like it's not syncing at all. I mean it's not when I play content, it's just when I even turn it on it gives me crazy lines all over and looks like it's crawling and double vision, you can't really see anything... Other people have stated that they got the Chromecast devices to work for them on that scaler I bought on older TV's with component video input... So not sure why it doesn't work on mine...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounds like your scaler isn't creating a compatible signal. interlaced timing can be a pain. I'd consider using the vga port and a computer. use a tool called powerstrip to dial in the timing manually. I recall 30hz was the ballpark to aim for. you can even trim the vertical and horizontal to avoid losing picture behind the borders of your tv.
there are also old vidoecards that came with component output, 2009 vintage. avoid the old AGP interface and try to grab one that uses pci-e interface, that way you can use a modern cpu for your decoding needs. I believe the old cards often marketed it as "hdtv-out" connection. which was the term for component back then lol. you'd be building a cheap htpc, should do anything the roku can do.

here's an example of an old cand with component output. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/BFG-GeForce-8800-GT-and-9600-GT-OCX-ThermoIntelligence-Review
notice it uses a dongle to adapt a s-video connector to component. don't worry the s video pins have ypbpr 1080i component signalling capability. most cards of this vintage have this "hdtv-out" support but finding one with the included dongle may be tough. you could always build the dongle yourself if your handy soldering RCA and s-video connectors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like your scaler isn't creating a compatible signal. interlaced timing can be a pain. I'd consider using the vga port and a computer. use a tool called powerstrip to dial in the timing manually. I recall 30hz was the ballpark to aim for. you can even trim the vertical and horizontal to avoid losing picture behind the borders of your tv.
there are also old vidoecards that came with component output, 2009 vintage. avoid the old AGP interface and try to grab one that uses pci-e interface, that way you can use a modern cpu for your decoding needs. I believe the old cards often marketed it as "hdtv-out" connection. which was the term for component back then lol. you'd be building a cheap htpc, should do anything the roku can do.

here's an example of an old cand with component output. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...-GT-and-9600-GT-OCX-ThermoIntelligence-Review
notice it uses a dongle to adapt a s-video connector to component. don't worry the s video pins have ypbpr 1080i component signalling capability. most cards of this vintage have this "hdtv-out" support but finding one with the included dongle may be tough. you could always build the dongle yourself if your handy soldering RCA and s-video connectors.
This is great - thank you! I've tried using powerstrip before but I couldn't get it to sync properly... I'll try again with the VGA and then eventually buy a PC I can turn into a Linux Kodi/XBMC device? It would be convenient to get this to somehow work with a remote. The problem with Roku is that the older models that had component video didn't have full 1080p but only 720P for most of the apps. Netflix for example doesn't offer full HD on most older devices...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here's the technique that has worked wonders for me:

1. Download CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)
2. Get familiar with your graphics card's implementation of VSR/DSR

By default, Windows will recognize and assign a "Native Resolution" to any display you connect, whether a digital display or analog display. CRU will allow you to create your own Native Resolution and embed that into the registry and reboot the graphics driver. This allows you to select the PERFECT resolution output and refresh rate (as well as specific manual timings) to your CRT using VGA and lock it down as the recognized native resolution.

Once you have established this, you can use the VSR/DSR function of your graphics card to scale any/all resolutions down to that native resolution.

For example, I can use [email protected] on the FW900 over VGA, then use DSR (GTX 970) to play games at 3840x2400 and scale them down. 4K at 96Hz, technically. Some games scale better than others, but the effect renders more detail before scaling back down rather than simply applying anti-aliasing to a lower resolution. The effect is beautiful.

Likewise, I can set my other Viewsonic PS790 to 320x240 or 640x480 at 120Hz, and either natively play old school games or downscale newer games (but too much detail is lost on newer games). The point is that it's all very flexible.

I have not had any issues with HDCP. DVD, Blu-ray, Netflix, Amazon... all play at full resolution over VGA...

EDIT: I am also using this technique on my Sony 34XBR800 HDTV over DVI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts