AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a LCD tv and I don't see any mention on the any websites if they have a matte screen or not. It's going in a room with a ton of windows across from it and I get terrible glare now on my old projection tv. Any idea what to look for to make sure I wont have a terrible glare?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto2 /forum/post/19525567

I am looking at getting a LCD tv and I don't see any mention on the any websites if they have a matte screen or not. It's going in a room with a ton of windows across from it and I get terrible glare now on my old projection tv. Any idea what to look for to make sure I wont have a terrible glare?

Don't think it is stated online but rule of thumb is CCFL LCD is matte and LED LCD is glossy but both have AR filters. So best is still to see them yourself.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/19526453

Don't think it is stated online but rule of thumb is CCFL LCD is matte and LED LCD is glossy but both have AR filters. So best is still to see them yourself.

I've got a glossy CCFL (Toshiba) and a matte LED LCD (Vizio.) So it's not that predictable.

The best thing would be to try to see the sets in person first, even if you are planning to buy online. Also, you can find online reviews of many sets and the screen type is always mentioned.

I thought I preferred glossy until I got my matte LED LCD, now I don't really have a preference.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto2 /forum/post/19525567

Did you go to IU?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/19526453

Rules of thumb rarely cover all situations. It would be best if Mr. Otto2 did a little homework on his own before jumping in with a thread that leaves him wide open to taking a few jib-jabs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Figured there were a few good apples out there. I actually went to Purdue Jim, go figure.

I am looking to get a tv on Black Friday and have been doing most of my looking online and just was hoping to get some help since most websites don't say what kind of screen it has. I see some have a ultra clear screen or something like that and have no idea what that means. I did do some searches on here and have been reading up but there really isn't that much info on matte screens. Thanks again for all the help so far.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto2
Thanks for the help everyone. Figured there were a few good apples out there. I actually went to Purdue Jim, go figure.

I am looking to get a tv on Black Friday and have been doing most of my looking online and just was hoping to get some help since most websites don't say what kind of screen it has. I see some have a ultra clear screen or something like that and have no idea what that means. I did do some searches on here and have been reading up but there really isn't that much info on matte screens. Thanks again for all the help so far.
Oops, I have a bit of black & old gold egg on my face.

Sounds like topr gave you a starting point. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i can sympathize with you.

i did do my homework and went to several different stores and did the comparison tests for the glare situation.

i brought the one home that seemed to be the best (samsungln40c630) and it still is not as good as a smaller unit 32" scepter) that we are getting rid of.

i am investigating some anti-glare films and if you are intersted i will share my findings with you.

good luck,

gil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts