AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Is there anyway to test if my GGC-H20L is starting to fail at reading Blu-ray Discs? I now get stutters on some discs in exactly the same place (looks / sounds like read errors). These discs work fine in another PC and if I rip to ISO then they play fine on this PC. Is there a method / utility to check if this unit is failing?

2) If it needs replacing what is the latest SATA drive that still supports reading HD-DVD (& Blu-ray) or can be Cross Flashed to support them (I know about the GGC-H20L / GGW-H20L).

Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Try cleaning the laser, then try ripping/playing a few HDDVDs. If they don't read you're probably looking at a bad/failing drive. The GGW-H20L/GGC-H20L are still available ($$$$) and Amazon shows a Toshiba H802A. It's less expensive but I've never seen any reviews.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If you don't mind an external device the old XBox HD-DVD's are going for about $50 on Ebay.

Mike

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
With the demise of HDDVD you should consider ripping all your HDDVDs to disk. Drives will only get harder to find and more expensive. XBox HDDVDs are your most economical source as Mike noted.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone /forum/post/18307118

1) Is there anyway to test if my GGC-H20L is starting to fail at reading Blu-ray Discs? I now get stutters on some discs in exactly the same place (looks / sounds like read errors). These discs work fine in another PC and if I rip to ISO then they play fine on this PC. Is there a method / utility to check if this unit is failing?

Normally, a failing drive will completely fail to read certain disks, not the stutters that you are experiencing. Ie: you put a disc in and the drive shows no disc present, but the same disc reads in another drive. I had this issue with one of my drives where 1 in 4 discs (approximately) could not be read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone /forum/post/18307118

2) If it needs replacing what is the latest SATA drive that still supports reading HD-DVD (& Blu-ray) or can be Cross Flashed to support them (I know about the GGC-H20L / GGW-H20L).

GBC-H20L: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18003266

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - got on to a GC-H20L for a not tooo bad price. Other posts are correct - I'll need to convert my old HD-DVD's....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts