AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I successfully upgraded to the 80 gig Seagate in my Sony UTV. However, I haven't been having much success trying to unlock the existing 40gig Seagate using Noobie's procedure. After following the procedure, when I hook up the drive in a PC as a slave, the BIOS sees the drive, but I can't get access to the drive in either DOS or Win98SE. How can I tell if I've been successful in unlocking the drive?

Also, Noobie's procedure is written for someone with two UTV's, and I only have one. I saw somewhere that it should work with one, but I'm nervous about continually retrying the procedure. I have also read threads which suggest that if I accidentally re-marry the receiver to the 40gig HD, I'll have to re-do the entire download (and lose all My Shows) on the 80 gig.

Sorry for the neophyte questions,

Wes Huang

·
Registered
719 Posts
I seems as though M.S. might have made a change in the recent new software version that breaks that procedure. There was another thread on it. Given that there are some pretty heavy legal penalties coming down (i.e. replay-tv) M.S. probably was concerned about any hacking of the security. They probably changed the reformat procedure that the Noobie unlock relied on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It should still work.

I did the same upgrade 2 days after 3.5 was released. I installed the 80 Gig seagate and downloaded the software from MSN.

A couple of days later after 3.5 was downloaded from the sat I unlocked the 40 gig using Noobies directions.

I unplugged the IDE cable from the upgraded 80 Gig

I then plugged the ide cable into the old 40 gig drive

I used power from an old PC power supply to power the 40 gig drive

I turned the utv on and the lights flashed in sequence

I waited 2 minutes then unplugged the IDE cable from the 40 Gig drive

I then let the 40 Gig drive sit powered on for about 2 hours.

Installed in a PC and everything worked fine.

This was an RCA receiver not a Sony so I don't know if it's a Sony issue.

I then turned the UTV off plugged the IDE back into the 80 Gig powered back on and it worked fine.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did the change at the end of last week to my UTV. I bought it with 3.1 it downloaded via phone 3.2 and then via satellite 3.5.

The way I did get it to work was to leave the UTV totally unplugged (especially) for at least one hour before I started the process. If I tried it with out the "unpowered" it kept trying to dial the mother ship for upgrades etc. I tried it several times before i walked away disgusted mowed the lawn came back in to try it and it worked. Did my prior drive the same way. The key was a totally disconnected unit.

Good luck

CP

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sony's or RCA's? I wouldn't think it would make a difference though. I tried leaving it for a day unplugged and it still wouldn't start formatting on my Sony though.

I sold my RCA's so I have no idea if it would have worked on them or not. It might just be me, but I swear the RCA's use a slower processor, everything is faster to me on the Sony. Then again it's probably all in my head.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by noobie937
Sony's or RCA's? I wouldn't think it would make a difference though. I tried leaving it for a day unplugged and it still wouldn't start formatting on my Sony though.

I sold my RCA's so I have no idea if it would have worked on them or not. It might just be me, but I swear the RCA's use a slower processor, everything is faster to me on the Sony. Then again it's probably all in my head.
It's a Sony. I was told once by someone that used to work at UTV that the hardware is the same between Sony and RCA.

I guess I'm reluctantly concluding that there isn't a good way to unlock the sucker, and I'm fearful of zeroing out my new drive if I continue to jack around with the old one.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I followed the advice given here (using external power supply and leaving UTV unpowered for at least 1 hour) and used Noobie937's instructions listed on BlindSquirrel and...

I was able to unlock/format my UTV's 40gb HD for use on my PC.

If people continue having problems I'd suggest trying the "no power/1hour" step. It worked for me.

later,

dt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.