AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Samsung LN46C610, 46inch LCD.

I am thinking about exchanging it for the Toshiba TV which I bought at the weekend due to some issues (not picture related).

I have read in numerous places about different panel quality, depending on the panel type used by the manufacturer for the same model. The 46in seem to be one of the ranges where Samsung are said to use panels from different suppliers.

I am worried that in exchanging my Toshiba for the Samsung that I could end up with one with these 'bad' panels ('AO' panel?)

I read a lengthly thread in this forum discussing these issues, but couldn't tell if it was an issue that Samsung have since resolved or an open issue. Also, I could not find out how to tell what panel is actually fitted. I don't imagine the manufacturer would advertise this anyway, but some indication via the serial number would be helpful.

If anyone has any advice/pointers can they please let me know,

thanks

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Oh, how uniformed newbies can be!!!

This panel lottery crap has to be the biggest area of concern ever to hit this forum. I have two Samsungs. One has an "S" panel and the other has an "AO" panel and they are both perfect. The "C" panel is the one that may be of somewhat lesser quality (according to some people), but it still meets all the specifications.

By the way, not only does Samsung make their own panels, they also own a joint facility with Sony. And, like other manufacturers, they also use panels from other suppliers. Do you think every part in your Ford or Chevy is made by Ford or Chevy?

If you're that concerned about it, then get the Sony LDL-46EX500 and don't worry about it or enjoy your Toshiba. It's just a frickin' TV for God's sake!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice and the background on the panel manufacturers, etc.

I went out and bought the Toshiba. The picture was great but it had a fault with the audio so I took it back. (at 1/2 volume, and raising the bass setting up two notches from the middle, the sound started 'cracking' and 'popping' badly)

The dealer had no problem giving me a full refund and I now have the Sony EX500

I only had a short time last night to set it up but the picture looks dull, but probably I need to do some tweaking. Also the auto dimming might be turning the brightness down, whereas the Toshiba was probably defaulting to max, making it look more "punchy". BTW, the picture on the EX500 was set to 'vivid'.

Fingers crossed that this is a keeper. Aynway, as you say, it is "just a TV"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19580212

Oh, how uniformed newbies can be!!!

This panel lottery crap has to be the biggest area of concern ever to hit this forum. I have two Samsungs. One has an "S" panel and the other has an "AO" panel and they are both perfect. The "C" panel is the one that may be of somewhat lesser quality (according to some people), but it still meets all the specifications.

By the way, not only does Samsung make their own panels, they also own a joint facility with Sony. And, like other manufacturers, they also use panels from other suppliers. Do you think every part in your Ford or Chevy is made by Ford or Chevy?

If you're that concerned about it, then get the Sony LDL-46EX500 and don't worry about it or enjoy your Toshiba. It's just a frickin' TV for God's sake!

·
Registered
44 Posts
so the sq01 or aa01 a02 aa03 outside the box isnt a accurate way of telling whats in the box?

so the sony is garunteed to be a good panel?

ill prob go buy a sony 46ex500 for the living room and a 40c530 samsung for the basement hope for a good panel. hows the video playback off the usb will both play divx cause i got tons of those

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like there is no real way of telling. You just have to lug the screen home and do your own assessment - and be prepared to make a journey to take it back if you are not happy. Or if the dealer is agreeable, set up a test in store and buy the exact screen you use to do your evaluation.

Also from what BoilerJim was saying, there is very little difference between the panels anyway. Perhaps there are just a few disgruntled customers out there and their few raging posts have blown the 'issue' up out of all proportion.

I don't know about the USB and supported file formats as this was not something which I bought it for. Actually it is going to be used mostly by my children for gaming and I was going to help them set up their PS3 as a DLNA player. I use Mezzmo on my PC to stream all sorts of content to my DLNA devices (one of which is a Sony BDP-S57 Bluray player). Mezzmo can transcode on the fly so is a good workaround for limited format support on these DLNA devices.

BTW, I work for a company which develops professional video encoder and decoder equipment. Whilst being a 'newbie' at buying LCD TV's I am definitely not a novice at spotting video quality issues. However, I accept that having such an eye for video quality and also knowing the underlying technology in detail, I am probably not the best person to comment on whether the picture quality of some mid-range LCD screen is acceptable or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbaby /forum/post/19582202

so the sq01 or aa01 a02 aa03 outside the box isnt a accurate way of telling whats in the box?

so the sony is garunteed to be a good panel?

ill prob go buy a sony 46ex500 for the living room and a 40c530 samsung for the basement hope for a good panel. hows the video playback off the usb will both play divx cause i got tons of those

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a Samsung LN46C600 during the BF deals.

From what I read it is LNXXC630 in LNXXC530 shell.

The panel is SQ01, and I adjusted the settings according to CNET settings for C630. I do have a slight issue with the light bleeding at the lower corners, and I am not sure if it will go away or stay that way.

One thing, my whites are white but I have a Tivo HD hooked up, and the menu letters look washed out dirty grey I guess because it is 480p content

1 - 7 of 7 Posts