186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup:

Rocket 550 L/R - Bigfoot Center

Pioneer VSX-84TXSi

SVS PB12

Playstation 3

Toshiba HD-DVD

This will probably sound strange (and very noobish) - but the other day I was listening to a CD (on the HD dvd player) and it seemed there was no bass coming from my sub. I touched the cone and sure enough it was not moving at all. So then I tried an HD-DVD movie and even when the receiver showed LFE the sub wasn't moving. Crap - my sub is blown. I tried unplugging it - messed with the gain (which was already at about 65%). Then I tried the PS3 on a music CD (I don't own any BD movies yet) and I got some bass, but still very anemic. Tried messing with the MCACC setting on the sub channel and got the normal rumble I would expect. But none of my sources seem to produce any bass anymore. Is there some 100% test I could do to see what the problem is. I am wondering if I have just gotten used to it, but I remember when I first got the sub it would rattle the ceiling fan on big scenes and I definitely don't feel anything like that anymore. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/15449539

Listen out for, chuffing an air fluxuation flubbing sound at the port. Use an SPL db metre or RTA analyzer for best results.

Gotcha. I just downloaded a 20hz, 30hz, and 40hz test tone mp3. I'll get my SPL meter out and see what it says. My initial reaction form the test tone though was promising - perhaps I was just expecting too much from the content I was listening to.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Don’t get too carried away and push it beyond its technical restraint limits we don’t want a new thread saying (I buggered my sub bass up). keep the levels low 75db is ample then let the soundtrack play at modest realistic levels, unless you have dozen of the same sub where SPL doubles by +3db every single sub that you add on.

But set your gaols high.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/15449758

Don't get too carried away and push it beyond its technical restraint limits we don't want a new thread saying (I buggered my sub bass up). keep the levels low 75db is ample then let the soundtrack play at modest realistic levels, unless you have dozen of the same sub where SPL doubles by +3db every single sub that you add on.

But set your gaols high.

Got it. I could get better output by corner loading it, except there really isn't a great corner for it in my living room so it's kind of in the middle of the room (I know not the best location). I'm wondering if the Pioneer AVR might be kludged up though, I know there is a sub issue but I believe that's only with lossless BD/HD-DVD playback not with CDs or MP3s

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hey Istari,

Feel free to drop us a note at [email protected] if you need a hand troubleshooting. And do be very careful running pure test ones through your sub, they can be very tough on the driver.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istari1 /forum/post/15449866

Got it. I could get better output by corner loading it, except there really isn't a great corner for it in my living room so it's kind of in the middle of the room (I know not the best location). I'm wondering if the Pioneer AVR might be kludged up though, I know there is a sub issue but I believe that's only with lossless BD/HD-DVD playback not with CDs or MP3s

Yes it’s a 6db to 9db boast when mated with floor and walls corners. if its too much or doesn’t give the desirable level at frequency shift it up the wall might make a little difference, just difference.

Using a single sub is problematic it would be so idea for us all to achieve equal smoothness and uniformly frequency coverage over seating area, with one sub. This needs multple of subs coupled together to reinforce the sub bass beyond the most rumbling of film soundtracks.

This can soon lead to an obsessive and a costly hobby.

Also there is the elusive “I’m missing bass”? Room Modes the frequency will never be the same level thought-out the room. You’ll have dips and peaks up and down the room. Most here are used too this myself included. You’ll notice a difference when using a cluster and lots of man hours to tailor all-this-out for your needs and your needs alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts