Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I couldn't find anything on how to test for the "rainbow effect" on the forums. Is there a way to see if you can see them? I am soon going to be in the market for a projector and want to make sure that I get something decent.

I guess what I mean is to test for rainbows, what should I watch? Dark video, light video, colorful, etc.

I would think watching a colorful fast moving scene would be a good test, that and rapidly shaking your head.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or know a post that I couldn't find?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think the whole "rainbow" issue has been blown out of proportion. When I was shopping for my first projector a few years ago, everyone was talking about rainbows. So I ordered the NEC lt-85, and was disappointed to learn that I could see rainbows with it. But then, as I settled comfortably into watching movies, I can honestly say that I have not noticed a rainbow in a long, long time. I am just not looking for them anymore, and my brain doesn't really register them anymore.

Haivng said that--to answer your questions, the best way to try to see rainbows is a high contrast picture with motion. Black and white together moving horizontally across the screen.

Dart your eyes back and forth across the screen to increase the effect.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Steve is right, DON"T GO THERE!!!

You'll be happier if you don't look for them.

That said, X MEN 1 opening scene is a rainbow fest. I was watching it on a dlp and it opened up a whole new world to me.

Since then, I got a Sanyo Z2 and have grown fond of LCD movies.\\

If I were you, I would watch X Men (the first) on a better dlp and a better LCD. If you see rainbows, definately go with an LCD. If screen door on an LCD bothers you and you don't see rainbows, go with the DLP.

If you go with an LCD , I would wait for the Sanyo Z3 or Panny 700 to come out.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Try the official rainbow thread. You can find a link in the FAQ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.