AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tempted to buy an STB for OTA HDTV (or go the HTPC route), but want to make sure I can receive a decent signal before plunking the money down. Is there a way to gauge signal strength with an antenna, only? For instance, if I could receive a UHF station that antennaweb lists as farther away (or harder to receive, at least) than the DTV tranmitter, would that tell me that I can receive the DTV signal?

I live east of Seattle, in the foothills off the south tip of Lake Sammamish, and I am not sure whether or not any the hills to my west will block the signal.

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Hi Llamas

Its not foolproof. Here in NYC I can receive a reasonable (though not great) UHF picture from both the empire state and world trade center, but my DTC100 receives NO digital signals.

Your milage may vary.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have clear reception of the analog channels from the same transmitter location, you should be able to receive the digital channels.

For the best reception an outside or attic mounted antenna is the preferred way to go.

-Zyg-

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
If you have clear reception of the analog channels from the same transmitter location
And roughly the same frequency.

------------------

Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.