AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok how does one test a driver/woofer for T/S numbers?

I am a complete noob and I am a little bit confused on how I would go about this. I purchased fairly good drivers and I want to design the enclosure.

I was looking at purchasing this product http://www.woofertester.com/wt2product.htm

What else do I need? Can I test the woofer without an enclosure? (I don't have one built yet)

I assume I am going to need test signals?

I would be most appreciative for guidance.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
A slightly less expensive option would be the Dayton WT3 from Parts Express. $99 and currently includes a free precision scale... kind of a random freebie, but why not? The included software should walk you through the testing process.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
T/S parameters only tell part of the story when designing a full range speaker. You also need to get on-baffle frequency response graphs as well as plot the impedance values by frequency.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15545352

I read the post to think he's looking at building a subwoofer, but that could be a poor assumption on my part.

I didn't see "sub" anywhere in his post so I assumed it was a woofer designed for a full range speaker. If not, then he has all the info he needs.

And I am a user of WT3 from PE. I like it.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that all I would need? the software, a computer, the driver, amp and a source? Does the driver need to be in some sort of enclosure?

·
Registered
509 Posts
It depends on which of the two more popular types type of VAS testing you are doing, delta compliance or delta mass. Delta compliance requires you ro build a sealed enclosure of a known volume to measure the driver in. Delta mass doesn't require you to build a box but you have to be able to add a measured amount of mass to the cone using things like blu-tack, magnets (hence the free scale mentioned above)

Regards,

Dennis

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 /forum/post/15546344

Is that all I would need? the software, a computer, the driver, amp and a source? Does the driver need to be in some sort of enclosure?

Besides the Vas test mentioned above, you need to measure the sub horizontally. It really should be securally mounted to something but if you can keep it perfectly still and in a very quiet room WT3 should get accurate results. The amount of current is so miniscule that any noise that moves the cone will cause the sub to create its own current and it will throw your readings off. No need to do like Fi Car Audio has done but you can't hold the driver in your lap and jam the radio at the same time you are testing.

-Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts