AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my replaytv 5040 and upgraded the hard drive, but how do I transfer photos from my pc to my replaytv 5040? I don't have a router, hub or switch. I connected the replaytv to the pc with a crossover ethernet cable, but I can't connect to replaytv when I type in the ipconfig info, and subnet mask. Do I need to use a router to transfer photos? Also do I need a router to transfer mpgs with replaypc? Someone told me I don't but I will need to install some network software and I don't know what that is.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Need more info. If you are connecting to Sonic Blue via modem then I don't think you can use the lan at the same time. If you connect via broadband then you should get a router so you don't have to swap cables to use your PC with the Replay. The Replay may take up to 10 minutes to "announce" itself on a network so sometimes the photo software doesn't see the Replay right away.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The ReplayTV software is crap ... sorry ReplayGuys but it's true. Use the RePhoto 2.0 Java interface to transfer your photos.

You will also be best served if you use a WAN router, the hard wired versions are pretty cheap - less than $100 - and the wireless are not much more. The wireless have the ability to attach both wireless and Cat5 so if you are even tinking of going wireless you might want to go the wireless route to start with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No need to appologize. The software works as advertised buy it screwed my computer up and I had to remove it. Glad to hear there is an alternative.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a modem to dial out for my guide date, but I change that in setup to ethernet for now. I don't know why it would take 10 minutes to announce. I can't connect the replaytv to my pc and it says no network connecton after two minutes. For example, I get an ipconfig on my pc that's 139.124.42.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, but replaytv wants to know my default gateway and dns server also which doesn't come up when I get my ipconfig. I download the software from Replay, but at this point I don't need it when there is no connection. All I want to do is connect to pc without a router of any kind, just ethernet crossover cable. Anyone know exactly how to do this?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think you can just leave your connection as modem and still use the network (at least this has been said by one of the Replayguys). Connect the crossover cable and run the photo transfer software. The software should be able to detect the Replay by itself without you needing to enter any information.

The photo software is pretty flaky, so it may take awhile to find the Replay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is crossover cable?

I have a ReplayTV 4504 & win98se PC.

Internet connection is dial up.

When I connect my PC to the 4504 using regular Ethernet cable nothing happend. Please help with an info about how to make it work (photo transfer) in this configuration.

Thanks...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, the replaytv program downloaded from sonicblue is JUNK(no wonder SB hide the program from the website). I used it to transfer image files to 5040. The ReplayTV program crashed my explorer every 5 minutes.

I think 5000 series is a RUSH job just in time for the holiday season. THe 5000 serie has bad build-in turner, bad support program etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.